Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this one up to add to the growing fleet. I saw a few others posted about their rc addiction, so I figured I would also. I shot myself in the foot using the wrong epoxy on the rudder install, so I have to wait 12 hours before going to the next step. But, I look forward to finishing this build tomorrow(during a rainy day here), and hopefully maiden flight this weekend.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
A long-time member on my Thinkpad forum is selling me an IBM A31p laptop. This business-class laptop was in a class by itself in 2002 and cost close to $4500 in its day.

It's in near mint condition, and includes a host of accessories that were extra cost from IBM. This has two Ultrabays for dual drives or an extra drive and DVD-RW, a ten key keypad, GPS system, etc.

Has all the in's and out's of its day including S-Video in for video editing.

Has the top of the line P-IV 2.0Ghz processor, 4 GB of RAM( 3 GB addressable), UXVGA 1024x768 15" screen display that is perfect, and is running XP Pro.

The keyboard doesn't have any shine at all. The machine is pristine.

This model was spaceflight rated and flew aboard both the STS and the ISS with a few minor modifications.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished her. The programming was a little convoluted and more involved. But she's all set, minus cg balancing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I hope to start on this B-17 while I'm hanging around the house. With 235 pieces , between the layout and this model it should keep me busy awhile.
Lots of interior as well as exterior details. Lots of airbrush work.

b171.jpg
b172.jpg
b173.jpg
b174.jpg
b175.jpg
b176.jpg
b177.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the finishing touch. Maiden her today in the strong wind advisory. Not sure how strong in mph it was, but the 10lb plane had rudder issues with the cross and while taxi. I tried my smaller helicopter, but simply wasn't feeling it whatsoever, so that lasted maybe 30 seconds..

But the big girl was fun...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
@MichaelE -- If you install a 64-bit version of Windows, or (preferably) go to a better operating system, you can avoid that 3GB limit on the accessible RAM. There's still a lot you can do with that machine, like setting up an external drive and using it as a file or media server. Thinkpads used to be the ultimate in long-lasting machines, and then IBM moved all that over to the Lenovo division which in turned moved manufacturing to China. Now the hardware is questionable and their support is abominable (and I was calling from a large business and couldn't even get a callback from our sales rep). Such a shame.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The Intel 845MP chipset is only 32 bit. So is the Intel Pentium 4 Mobile processor. It will not address more than 3 GB of RAM even if I were able to load a 64 bit OS.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Ugh that's really unfortunate. I have a P4 cpu in my firewall that runs a 64-bit OS just fine so I was a bit confused, until I realized my system is a P4 D processor, not the original P4.

If you're ambitious you can actually get linux to work around some of the limitations and make all of the memory accessible (see PAE kernels). I remember that being a huge issue at the time, where companies were selling machines with 4GB of memory and people were constantly complaining that they couldn't actually use what they paid for.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
There are a couple of problems with that. Even if the PAE flag is present and recognized by the OS, the chipset will still not support the increased page file to 64 bit. It is only capable of supporting 32 bit OS be it Linux or Windows.

The second limitation is with memory this old, a memory module of more than 2 GB is not available nor are the RAM slots to hold more than two modules at a time.

If the PAE kernel was usable by the 845 chipset to expand the pageffile to 64 bit, there would not be enough memory on a single module nor the slots to support any more to get a higher RAM amount of more than 4GB for a mobile system.

Your Pentium D is a dual core processor with 64 bit architecture already built in and so is the supporting chipset.

But, it was worth thinking about.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yep, like I said it can get around some of the limitations. A single process can still only access 3.5GB for the OS as a whole can access the entire 4GB and split it up between different processes. Not ideal, but still better than having a chunk of memory that can never be used.

And this has me thinking... I was using the PAE kernels for a long time, and had no memory how I ever got there. I bet this is the reason why, because some of my early servers did in fact have 4GB of memory and 32-bit cpus. Yeah, good times. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts