Model Train Forum banner

Newswatch 16's backyard Train

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Don F 
#1 ·
A little background to accompany this link: WNEP 16 is in Moosic PA, and one of three local TV stations in Northeast PA. Several years ago, the station create a back yard setting to broadcast the weather. There is a pond, with a raised waterfall spilling into the pond. Above the waterfall is a small circular G Gauge train. Apparently, the train got noticed by John Oliver, host of an HBO night time show. There is a segment on the news call Talk Back 16, and a caller was commenting that Mr. Oliver was making fun of the train. He saw the comment, and replied that he wasn't putting down the train, rather, he was bringing it to the attention of his audience. Here is the link for the rest of the story:
http://wnep.com/2017/09/11/newswatch-16-in-new-york-searching-for-hbos-backyard-train/

#3 ·
Obviously, this has been going on for a while; I know there have been a lot of local comments about the backyard train, both positive and negative, but I have no idea when John Oliver first heard about it. That layout he had built didn't get done in two days! It had to cost a fortune, and it's really great that he did that. I can't wait to see where the station plans to put it. If it's going to be outside, it will need to be under a pavilion at the very least. I like that the Nicholson Viaduct is in front. Even though it's not in Scranton, it's close enough.

#5 ·
Do you know if the station even has plans to actually take possession of the layout? It looked very impressive on John Oliver's show (except the real water, which just doesn't scale).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.