Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of months ago I picked up 3 of these Ratio models yard crane kits and my buddy commented that he liked the looks of it.

Since this Birthday is next week I built him one for this layout over the weekend and here's the results.

The model is about a HO scale 29 ft tall from what I can tell which is going to keep me from using one of my as yet unbuilt models as a flat car load as I was first concidering.

Please notethat the minimal directions provided have one flaw in that they are lettered in steps and not numbered.
This in my rush to build it allowed me to install a part that caused me to have to modify another part to get it installed.
The end result of this is that the model does not work which would have been kinda nice instead of just being static.

I also found that 2 of the needed holes where not drilled thru all the way, and main pivot pole holes had to be enlarged a little, so you will need a good size number drill set to build this kit.

It's worth it though because it looks great and if you have a yard or industry on your pike you could likely use one or two, and yes it's a very fine steel link Hand drive chain they provide with the kit!

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
A very nice addition for layout.
I wonder how hard an old real one was to hand chain lift a load.
I wonder how many tons yours would lift?
Do you know if they make an O scale?

I did a quick search, not many showed up. I found this one but there is not much info on it.
It says 10 tons, I don't know if it is a hand operated crane or not.
Sort of looks like it would be?

Edit, I just noticed the cars in the back ground. Says Cattletrain on them.
Never seen those kind of cars before. Cool, the cars look like they have a ramp the comes down.
I wonder if anyone has made a model of these?

Crane_SW_of_Millchester_Road_(2006).jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question about the tonnage, but this one has a bunch of gear reduction to it so working it may not of been too hard .

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Good question about the tonnage, but this one has a bunch of gear reduction to it so working it may not of been too hard .
I saw a few in my search that had a counter weight on them.
But they didn't have much info and the pictures were copyrighted so I didn't post them.
An O scale would be nice behind my round house I will search to see if one is available. I don't think I ever saw a O scale model.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
...it is a hand operated crane or not.
?
]

I outlined your hand crank.
These would be geared appropriately as would the chain wheel such that on person can easily lift a rated load.
Of course, it takes a lot of turning.

I've used chain wheel hoists and they are a great relief for an aching back, but not a great time saver.

My buddy had an old tow truck with a hand crank to lift the tow load!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a real old one in Newburg N.Y on the Hudson River that inspired me to go looking for a kit of such.

I don't know if this yard area where the crane is back when was a NYC, O&W, or Erie ?

The old west shore tracks of the NYC is all of 50'ft from where the crane is though!

The center load vertical beam/ post of the crane I built looks to be about a foot in diameter, so maybe there's a way to get into the ball part of its tonnage rating from that?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts