1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like this one
Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car

Sky Track Automotive lighting Railway Rolling stock

Drunk female, person of color, decided to fight the cops, got pepper sprayed and handled roughly, then claimed the officers were racist and profiled her

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yea, there’s been more than a few drunks who hung turns at grade crossings thinking that they were intersections.
“Boy, they really need to repave this road, it’s so bumpy and hey look, that guy coming at us has got only one headlight but it sure is bright!”

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea, there’s been more than a few drunks who hung turns at grade crossings thinking that they were intersections.
“Boy, they really need to repave this road, it’s so bumpy and hey look, that guy coming at us has got only one headlight but it sure is bright!”
In some parts of metro Detroit, the tracks are less bumpy than the roads.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Really interesting job that you have Trackjockey...I imagine your route is pretty extensive.
I am curious what is the worst part of your job?
Finding qualified workers or motivating a crew during winter cold....
I imagine repairing rails after a derailment, maybe being on the oppisite side of the route and getting a trouble call a half hour before quiting time, on the other side of the boonies.
Not having the right tool in the truck for a job, or subbing for a co-worker on a derilict route, while they are on vacation.
It would be cool to read a daily diary of a Track Supervisor.
You should start a thread on the forum so we can hear about some of your trials and tribulations.
Duh...in this thread, I suppose you are doing just that! giggle ....thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really interesting job that you have Trackjockey...I imagine your route is pretty extensive.
I am curious what is the worst part of your job?
Finding qualified workers or motivating a crew during winter cold....
I imagine repairing rails after a derailment, maybe being on the oppisite side of the route and getting a trouble call a half hour before quiting time, on the other side of the boonies.
Not having the right tool in the truck for a job, or subbing for a co-worker on a derilict route, while they are on vacation.
It would be cool to read a daily diary of a Track Supervisor.
You should start a thread on the forum so we can hear about some of your trials and tribulations.
Duh...in this thread, I suppose you are doing just that! giggle ....thanks for sharing!
The worst calls I get are train vs vehicle or pedestrian, or the suicides

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad most of my area is rural, I get to see alot of cool stuff lots of wildlife, during the winter we run alot at night when we have the cold restrictions on, its very peaceful at night, not much traffic and almost no radio chatter
Train Infrastructure Electricity Building Track

A cold quiet night at Clinton IA
Automotive lighting Street light Road surface Sky Electricity

Westbound overtaking me at Clinton IA
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Sky Electricity

A clear green signal on the outskirts of Dixon IL
Train Sky Plant Vehicle Track

Early morning at Dixon IL
Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Natural landscape

A crop duster lifts off from Morse on the Peoria sub
Sky Plant Ecoregion Nature Natural environment

Look real close, see the tornado? this was just West of Morrison IL, I almost drove into its path, it was rain wrapped and I didn't see it until I noticed trees and debris flying, I backed up fairly fast, it got almost to the track then vaporized, didn't last long

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see alot of wildlife in my travels
Sky Cloud Plant Fence Natural landscape

Its funny how abundant these guys are until deer season, then they seem to disappear
Sky Twig Tree Trunk Plant

I enjoy seeing the eagles, they used to only show up during the winter, but the last few years they've been hanging around all year
Sky Bird Accipitridae Branch Twig

Not the easiest creatures to photograph, they always seem to take flight just as you get them zoomed in and are about to click the shutter
Water Bird Plant community Tree Lake

Water Bird Beak Lake Body of water

Get to see lots of waterfowl
Train Sky Plant Vehicle Cloud

The best thing about what I do is the opportunity to get pics most railfans can't
Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Plant

Sky Water Cloud Train Plant

And where else could I get the chance to ride a surviving caboose across my territory

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Even a “dream job” is still a job. Meaning some days you’d consider trading up. Everything has trade offs. Like working from home, which I was doing before Obama was elected, sounded great! No commute, etc. But the home phone becomes the office phone, you’re always there, you can’t leave work at the office, etc.

I like SF Gals “captains log” idea. In fact, a dash cam “series” on youtube would be pretty cool to watch. Almost like COPS but without the foot chases. It’d be like a remote ride-along. Call it “take a foamer to work day.” Lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very cool thread....subscribed!!!!!
Make it like a diary or your weeks adventures so we all can be there!
Love the photo of the BNSF locomotive overpass!
What is crazy about the photo is the railroad company spent a huge dollar to make it a overpass when a crossover would have worked ...unless they are both high traffic mainlines.
I think you have a pretty neat job...service is never fun, but the down time can be pretty fun and interesting!
Thanks for sharing! Keep the thread going please! Cool beans!!! 🤪

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jockey, I was just about to ask you that very question.
A little bit of pucker factor?

Magic
I have several curves on the east end of my territory that are wooded and in cuts and the creepiest thing to me is when you see the headlight glow from around the corner, train still isn’t in view just that glow, no matter how many times I’ve done this I always sit up a little straighter when I see that, it’s quite startling in the day time when your in a blind curve and all of a sudden a train pops into view as well

1 - 19 of 19 Posts