Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know the story on NJ International? I have recently been designing my signal system for my layout. There’s no doubt that NJ International makes some very nice pieces at a very high price. However, if you visit their website just about every thing they have is sold out.

A friend of mine that owns a online hobby shop told me recently that he thinks they went belly up. Their distributor/dealers sites show they have very few of NJ’s products in stock. They have a huge variety of products but seem to be slim pickings for the consumer.

By not knowing the status of NJ I went with Atlas for my setup but NJ does have a few unique items I would like to throw in the mix. If they are going out it makes me leary of buying their equipment.

Atlas tossed a few modern sets in the market and the hobbyist went crazy over them so needless to say Atlas is stepping up their production to quench us thirsty train drivers. The demand is huge and many sellers are taking advantage of this window on eBay. It’s the same with NJ products on eBay bumping up pricing 40% - 50% - 60% of retail.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone here know the story on NJ International? I have recently been designing my signal system for my layout. There’s no doubt that NJ International makes some very nice pieces at a very high price. However, if you visit their website just about every thing they have is sold out.

A friend of mine that owns a online hobby shop told me recently that he thinks they went belly up. Their distributor/dealers sites show they have very few of NJ’s products in stock. They have a huge variety of products but seem to be slim pickings for the consumer.

By not knowing the status of NJ I went with Atlas for my setup but NJ does have a few unique items I would like to throw in the mix. If they are going out it makes me leary of buying their equipment.

Atlas tossed a few modern sets in the market and the hobbyist went crazy over them so needless to say Atlas is stepping up their production to quench us thirsty train drivers. The demand is huge and many sellers are taking advantage of this window on eBay. It’s the same with NJ products on eBay bumping up pricing 40% - 50% - 60% of retail.
I don't know what's up with them either, but I recently completed my signaling using 8 of their #1037's. Bought two from eBay and the rest directly from their website for virtually the same price. They all work great except for the one I killed :mad: It looks like I may want to get an extra one just in case!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what's up with them either, but I recently completed my signaling using 8 of their #1037's. Bought two from eBay and the rest directly from their website for virtually the same price. They all work great except for the one I killed :mad: It looks like I may want to get an extra one just in case!
You can find some of their products here and there from hobby shops online. You can also save a lot of money buying from those hobby shops online. The sellers on eBay have caught wind that NJI may be no more so the prices are very high and people are lapping them up too.

I still believe that the NJI crossings bucks with arms are the best looking out there. Did you use a NJI controller with yours or did you use a universal controller card? NJI’s controllers are over $100 easily and although I am stocking up for my signal system I have not installed any just yet. I am hoping that i can use a universal controller by Atlas, Walthers or even home built controllers that are on eBay. The flasher feature seems that they would work with other controllers but the raising and lowering of the arms I am not sure about. I would think a servo is needed which is a different card all together.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can find some of their products here and there from hobby shops online. You can also save a lot of money buying from those hobby shops online. The sellers on eBay have caught wind that NJI may be no more so the prices are very high and people are lapping them up too.

I still believe that the NJI crossings bucks with arms are the best looking out there. Did you use a NJI controller with yours or did you use a universal controller card? NJI’s controllers are over $100 easily and although I am stocking up for my signal system I have not installed any just yet. I am hoping that i can use a universal controller by Atlas, Walthers or even home built controllers that are on eBay. The flasher feature seems that they would work with other controllers but the raising and lowering of the arms I am not sure about. I would think a servo is needed which is a different card all together.
I used NJI for my block signals. All others I've seen look too toy like for me, and there aren't many options out there. As far as my crossing bucks I used ones from Tomar. One set with the gates and one without. Sadly it seems Tomar is no more as well (n) For the controllers I used Azatrax for both crossings and my block signals. The crossing controllers include hookups for servos, which is what I plan on using. I still have to hook the gates up but everything else is up and running perfectly. There's video's of everything in action in my layout thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts