Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if permanent or a glitch.......but ALL scales are now lumped together under hobbies on ebay. If you want just O scale you have to look through ALL listings!!!! This has to be an update gone wrong or some 5th grader coding. If this is permeant it will make it impossible to look for what you need/want. Anyone else see this???
Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Looks to me like you can still search by scale, but when you drill down or search for what you want it goes haywire and does loose the scale that you are looking for.

I suspect they will fix it before too long because if you can’t find what you are looking for, people will stop using it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't quite understand the problem here. If I search for something like N scale "Northern Pacific" it may pick up the odd HO or Z; but otherwise I find it works pretty well. It's dependent on the seller to put the scale in the description - and I suppose "O scale" vs. "O gauge" might be a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I have done since 1998 when I started using ebay is like this:
Go to 'model trains' then select 'O' and search for what I want. I just tried a test search and there is no 'O' category..OK.....entered 'Hopper' ....I got every scale category and ZERO O scale listings until the 3rd page. Just saying if you are a seller I'd expect a drop in sales. I stopped selling 5 years ago and NEED nothing so it might be a good thing for me. Just more 'killing the golden goose'.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes...the seller and how they enter info is important. For many years I sold 90% of my business product on ebay and feel I know how to use it well. IMHO only removing the scales category from listing is not a good thing.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
No problem here?
I just went and put a search in for just O scale, and picked the choice, In Model Railroads and Trains.
I got 217,089 results for O scale, I looked at the first 3 pages and they were all O scale.

Reactions: Old_Hobo

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
They definitely changed something in the last day or two. I also have a link for O gauge on ebay and there is still a choice on ebay to select O gauge, but if you do a search or drill down far enough, things go haywire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walk me through that......even using Johns search I am not seeing items the way I did yesterday. Like I said this may be a good thing for my wallet!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe my tech writing years are making my issue unclear. In this screen grab in the red oval.....that text was 'Model Train - O scale' and it was hot linked clickable. That took you to all O scale listings and then you could pick track, loco, buildings etc.
This is all gone as far as I see. The text in the red oval is not clickable. Part of this is a change in the way I DID THINGS .....if it's changed forever.....a sign I need to buy nothing more!!!!😄
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

·
Registered
651 Posts
AMCDave, you are correct. The change occurred yesterday. I receive emails on my O Scale specific, Saved Searches every day. This morning they were a mess: HO, N, you name it. It's got to be a glitch.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Before yesterday, if I typed in something like "Missouri Pacific", I could narrow the search by Toys & Hobbies > Model Railroads & Trains > O Scale. Now, there is no option to select scale. I can narrow it down to Model Railroads & Trains but no further.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My automated search results are useless.......nots of not relevant listings.......oh well.....going to pick up my hot rod chassis next week.....so I have other things I need to do!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I contacted ebay with a polite note about the change. They said YES they did change the way things are laid out in hobbies. The why was more 'change for the sake of change' and could not explain the advantages of the change. As a System Analyst for 25 years I saw this all the time. A slight scuffle of a program that does not really improve anything but 'look what I did'. They did give me a long work around but I think it's more a sign to move on. Add this to the new laws around online selling and I see in person shows growing back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK.....I used the ebay supplied work around and I see what has changed. ebay just flipped the order of categories AND removed the hot link at the top of every auction. This, IMHO, is a pure techy move. Charge made NOT to improve things but to make them different. I saw this all the time in my job. A internal customer has a way of doing things, the tech makes a change that makes the customer method no longer work. Data is still in place but their method no longer works and thus interrupts the way they work. Thanks all.....back to basement to work!
Sky Wood Gas Geological phenomenon Track

·
Registered
2 Posts
To add Shop categories:
  1. Go to My eBay.
  2. Click the Manage my Shop link on the left side of the page.
  3. Click the Shop Categories link.
  4. Click the Add Category button.

Reactions: AMCDave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, after ebay sent me the 'what happened' note I have a work around. I don't like it.....but need to spend less time there anyway. The removal of the hot link at the top of the page was a 'change for the sake of change' no matter what they say.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts