Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Might be a good time to take my purchases to here
Not the best of selection or amount of listings but everyone has to start somewhere
Im not a fan of all the extra clicking either
Yes sir, we all do have to start some where and I appreciate you even mentioning Model Train Depo! We are starting to pick up steam @ MTD and need all the momentum we can get to make the steep grades.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Another cool thing about Model Train Depo is that I am small enough still that I can listen to what the sellers need and can customize and create categories, clickable and checkmark options in listings, start and end times/ dates. Other payment options like old school money orders and checks, manual auctions, best offers, etc... Currently there is also a free to buy and sell classified ads category with open communication between users and no paypal account required. Many options for a creative seller who could really have fun there and may eventually sell an item....lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Still can't reply to a customers question. Irritating. EDIT: I did some email searches and found the customer has bought from me before, back when you still could get their email address. I responded to his email.....hope it's still good. Its from 2013. lol

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
It looks like they "fixed" it. Doesn't work as well as it did, but at least you can get there from here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The hot link at the top of the listing was back this morning. But agree the way you access stuff is still screwy. One of my best buddies that uses ebay a lot called me today thinking his PC was messed up as he could not find stuff like he did.....so it ain't just us.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Well....I do my mornig check of ebay and it is worse than it was. Now it says, if I use ebay suggested work around, that 'O scale trains' is no longer valid. I'm done even trying to look....this is more like work and in place of two clicks to get all my info it takes many and then results are not valid. I'll wait until sales tank and they fix it.
Here is what ebay said to do.......go to this page, click on 'O scale'
Product Font Line Screenshot Technology

When you do this.....what do you get???
Photograph Product Sleeve Font Screenshot

I feel this is symptomatic of this entire country right now. If it worked before, 'FIX' it.....and make sure it goes in the toilet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks John....that seems to work OK.....I don't trust it as much as I did before....but that's fine. SO much more hassle than the old '2 clicks' and I had what I wanted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My sales have picked back up again, thankfully. I have a bunch of editing work to do as they scattered my part categories to the wind. I was never able to respond to that customer who asked a question, and now that part sold to someone else. Sorry bud, i tried. Hopefully he knows it wasnt me. :(

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I guess you wouldn’t want to click more then you have to…..it’s so exhausting, after all…. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
After 30+ years in the computer field knowing how things CAN be....yes it is. My job as a Sr Analyst I had to find the BEST way to do things. If 8,000 employees have to use 20 seconds to get data they need to do their job BUT with proper coding it can be done in 5 seconds.....which one would you prefer for your business. My frustration with ebay is they 'fix' things that do not need to be fixed.....but Program and DBA people, to show how hard they are working, do this all the time. IKNOW these changes were ;FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE' Sorry if my frustration with ebay was above your technical understanding of the issue.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Understand this…..this is a hobby, not a business…..patience, Grasshopper…..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
EXACTLY!!!! The reason I shutdown my business account on ebay 5 years ago. When I started in 1998 I could make a decent living on ebay sales. ebay has altered it's origin. Seems after about 2010 the new owners tried everything they could to make ebay less and less useful to small sellers and individuals. They wanted to become a hub for big commercial sellers and could care less about small garage based biz. Their tech department has gone the way of most tech depts. Not much to innovate so 'lets change something'.
The company I worked for innovated on the software and hardware level. Toward the end of my career, after we merged twice, innovation changed to 'lets change things' mind set.
Now ebay just feeds my hobby, which I enjoy. And the fact they are making it hard to use is a good thing.....I NEED nothing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's worse than all the above. If I specify (as a potential buyer) that I only want to look at items that are located in Australia (which is where I am), ebay tells me that's what it's going to do then just ignores me and spits out a whole lot of USA listings. And once postage from USA to AU is applied, the price is literally doubled . It's madness. A bit like Windows introducing a new 'feature' but much worse. Or a bit like when you search for something on google, the sites that pay to be listed first appear, you click on a link that says where you can get it and wind up on a page that says the item you want is out of stock. Amazon is really bad at doing this. It verges on clickbaiting.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts