Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Bailey Yard Tower in North Platte Nebraska in 2017 with my dad and for anyone that has been there, they provide guides on the observing floor that explain what is happening in the yard.

They are retired U.P. enmployees and the one we had was pretty bitter and angry at the U.P. But that's another story.

When it came to discussion of the locomotives, he said the U.P. had not purchased any new locomotives in a set number of years. I can not remember the exact years but I want to say 15 + years.

We were amazed. At Bailey Yard they do have complete rebuild facilities and a lot of U.P. locomotives look highly weathered but I figured every year a few new more environmentally friendly fuel efficient locomotives would be purchased and a few older long mileage units would be retired.

Does anyone else believe this? Who still makes locomotives and how could they survive unless they make new ones every year?

I model in O Gauge/Scale, and have several books to get to but from what I understand the 2 remaining manufacturers of locomotives are GE and EMD.

What do you guys know about this? Thanks

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Fifteen years sound like an exaggeration, but what do I know. I do know that most of the class 1 railroads don’t like the tier 4 locos and that some have significant rebuilding programs. There may also be an excess of power due to fluctuations in business. But 15 years? Sounds like a long time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A Google search shows that UP began using a new batch of Tier 4 compliant locomotives in California in 2015.
Based on that, I would say the information that you received at Bailey was incorrect since the article said they were the new GE Evolution series.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. And I would say that the ev4 could be retrofitted, I did not see any indication of NEW locomotives, but yes I would say those are new locomotives.

It just struck me that how could GE and EMD continue to operate without selling new locomotives. The US is already down to 2 manufacturers of locomotives and I am not sure EMD is still around. I'll google them next.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On EMD - from Wikipedia -

In 2005, GM sold EMD to Greenbriar Equity Group and Berkshire Partners, which formed Electro-Motive Diesel to facilitate the purchase. In 2010, Progress Rail Services completed the purchase of Electro-Motive Diesel from Greenbriar, Berkshire, and others.

EMD's headquarters, engineering facilities and parts manufacturing operations are based in McCook, Illinois,[note 1] while its final locomotive assembly line is located in Muncie, Indiana. EMD also operates a traction motor maintenance, rebuild and overhaul facility in San Luis Potosí, Mexico.
As of 2008, EMD employed approximately 3,260 people,[4] and in 2010 it held approximately 30 percent of the market for diesel-electric locomotives in North America.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Progress Rail Services Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar since 2006, is a supplier of railroad and transit system products and services headquartered in Albertville, Alabama, United States

1 - 10 of 10 Posts