Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find new Bachmann On30 steam engines, but no new diesel engines. Is this true? If so, any vintage diesel out there? I cannot find any vintage on ebay.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I know they always had a small gas powered critter type and a 50 ton center cab. Also alot of kitbash opportunities with HO power.

Check Micro Mark, they often had some online sales.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Go on the bachmann parts site and find the model number of something you want, then search for bachmann #model#. You may find something at one of the sites or ebay.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
On30 is -fairly- new, so I don't think it will show as 'vintage'..
I don't remember seeing diesels, but that doesn't mean there aren't any ?

The only one I have is a steam Porter .., Bachmann with DCC and sound

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said in the other thread, On30 is going to be a lot harder to find what you're looking for than either O or HO. You have to gauge your expectations a bit differently when you go with a less popular scale.
Yes you are right. I can go with steam engine and older style cars. I will use an electric trolley engine on the second track. I just have to rid the new Porsche mini van & BMW car and get a early 1900s car or perhaps a few horses for the older vintage set up with the steam engine.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bachmann's online store shows 4 different versions of a Whitcomb 50-ton center cab with DCC. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've never paid much attention to the diesel engines. As John said, the market is smaller for 0n30. I think Bachmann just released the new catalog, have a look at that, but I would expect they would have the stuff on the website, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

ADDED: Nope. Looks like On30 is more or less steamers/logging.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Maybe I've missed some history, but wasn't nearly all of the narrow gauge railroads replaced by standard gauges decades before the first diesel was ever built? I mean sure, some narrow gauge has survived, we have two running 36" railroads near Denver in the Rockies, but even the *idea* of a diesel running on narrow gauge seems completely alien to me.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
besides a whole lot of steamers [475 on ebay], i found a few diesel locomotives ..
some were 0-6-0 style, small cab, some were boxcab style, most were the 50ton center cab style , a few were streetcars, but not a whole bunch of diesels

·
Registered
890 Posts
Maybe I've missed some history, but wasn't nearly all of the narrow gauge railroads replaced by standard gauges decades before the first diesel was ever built? I mean sure, some narrow gauge has survived, we have two running 36" railroads near Denver in the Rockies, but even the *idea* of a diesel running on narrow gauge seems completely alien to me.
That's a good point, never thought about it like that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree in general that domestic narrow gauge was mostly an all-steam affair. The one big standout that proves the rule is the White Pass and Yukon, which was all diesel during its last few decades as a common carrier. There are, or have been, a number of industrial operations that dieselized, especially steel plants. The EBT was approached a couple of times in the early '50's by diesel salespeople, but ultimately shut down. I suspect the D&RGW was also approached, but probably felt that spending money on an operation they intended to abandon was not worth it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never thought about what is important to follow real old narrow scale railroads. No real diesels on real train narrow gauge with that one exception.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe not diesel but why not gas? You'll have to do some scratch building but could use HO scale mechanisms. I believe that AMH's 4 wheel diesel is more closer to O scale than HO. I have an Athearn SW1500 on the workbench that is being converted to two-foot gauge in 1/35 scale (still runs on 16.5mm gauge track). A new cab and changing out some details. Also battery powered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts