Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several Lionel post-war whistle tenders that I have brought back to life with rewiring and cleaning brushes & etc. They all work now but three (horizontal version) remain very noisy. The forth older (vertical) mechanism is very quiet and works exceedingly well. Is there a trick to quieting the horizontal ones? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
My only suggestion is to make sure to oil the armature shaft, especially between the commutator and impeller. It is hard to reach, but using either a pin Oiler or paper clip with a small drop of oil, get it well lubricated. It also may take repeated applications, until the noise gets lessened, or eliminated.

·
16,666 Posts
Is the noise from the whistle motor (itself) spinning, or from the relay-switch (that engages the circuit) vibrating?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tender whistle motor noise source

The clattering noise in the tender whistle motors I have is definitely fron the spinning armature, not the relay. I cleaned and lubricated the top of the armature shaft but couldn't reach the bottom half. This is probably dry with a worn bearing surface snd the source of the noise. How do I reach that end of the shaft with my needle oiler?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts