Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! New user, first time post.

<stands> My name's Kevin, and I'm a train-a-holic. </stands>

Was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions. I have an O guage setup running on a shelf about 18 inches down from the cieling in my living room (22x26). It is a wooden shelf, with the new FastTrac on a strip of cork all the way around. When the train is running, the "rail noise" is almost unbearable. Bad enough, my three year old covers his ears while making choo choo noises :D. Any thoughts or ideas to help deaden the sound? Was thinking about foam under the track, but didn't know what other peoples experience was.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
First what is making the noise?
The F-3's with dual motors are notoriously loud. Since it is close to the ceiling the sound is bouncing off the wall and the ceiling. Try a piece of foam board against the wall.
The wood was a mistake. It would of been quieter to use composite type board like underlayment. The stuff comes in 4 by 8 sheets and the name escapes me. Underlaymant is the best I can decribe it now.Home depot has it.

Also, are you sure the engine is lubed right? The armature will squeek if not oiled.
I don't know if it would help but you can try it insulate the shell.
That would make a great video! Epeciallly the three year old holding his ears!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-man,
I have three different locomotives that I have tried, neither are louder or quiter then the others. The noise seems to be just a white noise, seems to be comming from the wheels of the rolling stock/locomotive on the rails. I'll try the foam board, any other ideas?
Don't know how to get video online, but I'll see if I can figure it out :confused:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Don't know how to get video online, but I'll see if I can figure it out :confused:
YouTube... Upload a video from your camera onto your computer and then create a YouTube account... Click on the "Upload" button there and follow the steps... Once the video is finished being uploaded, post the link here :)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
One way to quiet rolling stock is to add weight. New cars tend to be light.
If that doen't work you could change track. The plastic under the rails isn't helping It's hollow under the track. Unless you could use a filler to stop the vibrating and/ or weigh the track down. I would think the cork would of helped. Switch it out and try something else.
Also make a tunnel out of the foam food tray from the food grocer just to see if it muffles noise, nothing fnacy just use a little duct tape.
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steel wheels or plastic? I've noticed my steel wheels tend to make more noise than the plastic.

I have a G-Scale layout on a shelf around my spare bedroom and it will sometimes have the same problem. As it's been said before, you are essentially creating an open speaker box around the top of your ceiling. The noise you are hearing is most likely coming from standing waves. You can muffle this by adding some insulation batting or some sort of loose foam (not real hard packed stuff, but something with some flex). I would recommend putting the foam under the track and have it stick out the side closest to the wall. The insulation/foam will dampen the track noise that is amplified by the hollow track and hard wood, while the extra stuff sticking out the side will catch the sound waves that are bouncing off the ceiling and shelf. You could also try and put some on the ceiling and putting up some sort of facade to hide that it is there, but most likely this will be visible.

It's all a matter of preference to appearance. Some sacrifice will have to be made somewhere, but I would recommend starting with the insulation/foam under the track. If you choose insulation, make sure in cannot, and will not come in contact with both the rails and the train...we wouldn't want to start any fires (they do make fire resistant insulation, check to see what they have).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can make a diagram if necessary. Take some photos of your layout and post them on here and I can come up with a more precise fix for your problem. Happy Rails!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same setup in my basement. 3/4"plywood and Lionel FasTrack. I put sill foam under the track. You can get it at a home builders supply store. Comes in roles of various widths, and is cheap, about $5. The 3 1/2" width is perfect for the FasTrack. Sound level is reasonable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts