Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd question and no particular reason to ask - If I place a NON Powered locomotive in front of a powered unit, and say a 20 car consist, would that cause more problems than it's worth?

Here is (sort of) why - I bid and was high bidder and won a non powered GP9 in Rock Island bankruptcy blue. I received the item and opened the box and although it is RailKing the detail I was impressed by the mold and would not mind putting this in front of older Lionel GP7's I bought a couple of years ago. I missed winning the powered Bankruptcy Blue Rock Island locomotive. But still the Lionel might push the MTH just fine, but I want the MTH on the lead.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The dummy is heavy enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure I did that with some MTH GP-38s. I like the color of the dummy more than the powered unit.

And I agree about the RK GP9. Good looking engine.

·
Registered
8,750 Posts
No, it is done all the time. I do it sometimes. There are some situations where it works best to do it that way, particularly if the dummy is lightweight and the trailing consist of cars heavy, it works out better than putting the light dummy behind the powered loco.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sometimes, without too much trouble, you can swap the shells between different manufacturer's locos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts