Covid 19 is Humanity's disrupter.
Unbelievers are becoming victims.
Returning to past practices
may never be achievable.
Normalcy is a word best forgotten.

·
Admin
43,709 Posts
A bit pessimistic I think. It will likely have to wait until an effective vaccine is developed, but I have more faith that we will again achieve normalcy in the future. True, it may take another year or even more... I'm more worried about the economy coming back from this jolt, we're living through what's close to the great depression!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is very close to The Great Depression. Just now, we are lining up in our SUV's for food instead of standing in a bread line. Yes, I am a pessimist. The things I witness daily (as seen on the TV) give me cause. There will be a new "normal" when this is finally over, but it will not be what we have known before. What comes out on the end of this may not be seen in our remaining lifetime.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Bob, sounds like you’re going through your own personal Great Depression right now.....
I don’t think there is a “normal” anymore, in fact, there hasn’t been a normal now for some time.....things are always constantly changing, and that change seems to be accelerated lately.....and as we can now see, change isn’t always for the better.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with you to a point Bob, but I don't necessarily share your pessimism.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the distant past, but for at least the past hundred or so years, I'd argue there has never been a "normal". Point to any point in that history and you're just a decade or so (or much less) ahead or behind of some seismic change in society, culture, economy, etc.

Normal doesn't exist, but that actually gives me hope.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eilif, we can all attribute a "normal" condition or situation to our lives. What is normal for one is not necessarily the same for someone else. But, we all have our "normals". What I am saying is that those normals of everyday life will not be the same. My wife and I used to go out to eat several times a week. We have not been out to eat, or to a theater since the shutdown was ordered. And, we are both at an age that makes us susceptible to the Corona Virus.

That being said, our normalcy will not be seen again. Now, there is a new normal. We stay in unless we need to go out to purchase goods, fuel, or food. That's it! We don't go out to sports events of our Grandchildren, we don't have family gatherings except on ZOOM (That is a new NORM, once a week). Our lives have changed, our normal in no longer what it was just a few months ago. And, it will change again. But it will never be what it once was.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Eilif, we can all attribute a "normal" condition or situation to our lives. What is normal for one is not necessarily the same for someone else. But, we all have our "normals"....

...Our lives have changed, our normal in no longer what it was just a few months ago. And, it will change again. But it will never be what it once was.
I pretty much agree with you there. I'm curious to see what life looks like post-vaccine. It may return to some semblance of "normalcy" but I doubt this is the last pandemic we'll see in my lifetime.

·
Admin
43,709 Posts
It may return to some semblance of "normalcy" but I doubt this is the last pandemic we'll see in my lifetime.
I suspect I'm probably older than you are, and it's the first pandemic I've seen! The SARS and Swine Flu were nothing like this is! This is the first time I can remember that you literally had to hide in your house to be safe! I didn't change my behavior at all for the previously mentioned outbreaks, or the HIV wave that's still going on. This is one that can come out and get you with no warning. We also didn't turn our economy upside down for any of the previous outbreaks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
And so I say, beware of a certain commander in chief of a certain country, and his hired hands who call it a hoax ! For science and medicine are no longer something to believe in in their realm...
And since electronics is a science, we can probably toss that out for the hobby, as well...Maybe time to switch to peanut butter power and pasta rails...
All seriousness aside folks; if we don't wear masks when and where we should, just because it doesn't look good, George Floyd won't be the only one who yelled "I can't breath !".

·
Registered
416 Posts
we don't have family gatherings except on ZOOM (That is a new NORM, once a week). Our lives have changed, our normal in no longer what it was just a few months ago. And, it will change again. But it will never be what it once was.
Incidentally ZOOM servers has a strong Chinese connection. Incidentally the present Virus threat originated in China. Marxist Invasion tactics come from where? Just something to think about when keeping my head out of the sand.

LATER HOPEFULLY

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems that most of my trains have a Chinese connection. And I used to play with many of Marx Toys. I had a Fort Apache, a tin litho Alamo and a tin litho castle set. Marx Toys went our of business many years ago, but kept us happy for years and years. Out trains are fun and ZOOM re-unites our family. I don't see any evil conspiracy, just bunch of smiling faces.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
The pandemic then the national unrest is creating a new direction for the foreseeable future. These two national events could result in a major change from conservatism to liberalism in Nov.

Bill

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This state has done ok but one wonders about an eventual rebound in cases. We still wear masks religiously in stores. Most people seem to put them on at the car. I usually put mine on as I get to the door if it's not crowded. But we have indoor dining and the little I've seen of it, no masks except the staff. Meanwhile our statewide positivity rate dipped below 5% for the first time yesterday. The published number is a 7 day avg. Supposedly 14 days at or below that is a good thing. Besides the masks, large scale testing and tracing seem to work. I would see we could have even more here ... We could compel. As for work. Many people seem to be back at it. Exactly what goes on inside them I have no idea. My work said they don't see a return to even semi normalcy until 2021 now. That are a pretty big company so I guess they analysed it. Meanwhile my only thoughts would be some kind of break through therapy before a vaccine also turns it around. Not sure that's likely. As for other states... Humans can't grasp exponential growth. They just can't. I think we are in for a rough ride.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
They have put up outdoor seating at many here. People are spread out but no masks. Staff has them. I mean people do seem pretty committed to wearing them overall. I detect a slight redoubling of the effort less places like parks and so on where folks can he spread out. I think large gatherings especially as you get into college and teens are still a problem area. They had a bunch test positive a week or two ago at one of the beaches and got after them ...

Still let's face it's human nature to cheat some ...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts