Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
More and more I am reminded of the movie Demolition Man. It is set in...

... a peaceful utopia, and the police are no longer equipped to deal with violent crime. ... human behavior is tightly controlled, physical contact and swearing are illegal, and anything else deemed "bad" is also banned, including drugs, cigarettes and intoxication.
Once gun confiscation is complete we'll be there in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
New Normalcy, provided by those who know better than the rest of us.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It doesn't to me. Not if the price is having my behavior tightly controlled.

So put the 🥃 & ☕ down and back slowly away and you won't get hurt.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm dealing with the mask/no mask in restaurant, as I type... This is my fav coffee hang...I buy some food and bring it here where I get a coffee to go with it..They began re-allowing partial seating with only a few tables and a few seats.. No one is in here now except me and 1 barista.. I'm 15' from him, mask off, but ready to put on if distancing closes in..
Yeah, eating and mask wearing is a big prob...
They're closing right now; 4 Pm.. Now I go outside and continue on a fixed-in-place concrete bench at sidewalk where neighbors walk right by, most masked, some not, at 3'- 6' away, kids, dogs..Here I'm masked 80-90% time... But at least I'm on the side of science, not presidential voodoo....
I wish everyone good health through this long nightmare......M

·
Registered
714 Posts
It doesn't to me. Not if the price is having my behavior tightly controlled.
Do you currently feel constricted, then??
I guess we are seeing every day the effects of NO control. And, I don't feel comfortable with that.

there would be no violent crime.....sounds good to me.....
To me also.

Hope I'm not too political...Union Station and all that.:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
By way of a Covid anecdote, my band had it's first gig a week ago. 2 sets of Country and Rock music at a "Texas Roadhouse" in Bradley, IL.

I confess that we in the band were unmasked and not quite social distancing from each other but we were plenty distant from the patrons -who were themselves at tables well spaced apart. We masked up when not playing and the staff was masked. Not a perfect situation but it felt pretty safe and I didn't feel like we were endangering others.

Say what you will about control, rights, etc, but here in Illinois we've had mandatory closings and mask wearing. It is unsurprising to me that we have not had the same recent spikes as other places that opened sooner or refused to mandate the preventative measures recommended by medical and scientific professionals.

Returning to the topic of normalcy, it's weird, but it's beginning to feel normal to be taking precautions. I went to a march today and everyone was masked, and so was the general public, and it just felt kind of normal.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Well, I think the new normal, when we eventually reach it, will be far from what we now regard as normalcy.

Not better. Not worse. Just different.

·
Registered
421 Posts
We are in a time period where there is two major Normals going on at the same time. The first Normal is Government edicts concerning wearing masks, social distancing, Quarantine measures, Business restrictions etc. All being vigorously enforced to the full extent of the law. The other Normal concerns Non peaceful Protesters, Looters, Arsonist, Property desecrators. Most all of that ilk are never arrested, prosecuted or brought to justice. Those who are arrested are set free by another local Govt. decree.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
The third normal is that none of the levels of government seem to be on the same page at the same time.....the king pin says one thing, and dozens of others say the exact opposite......everytime I see that happening, the theme song from the Three Stooges starts playing in my head......

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Really, rather intuitively we need an international effort that's lock step with the various national efforts around the world -- which flow down to the local levels in each country and meet some agreed upon bar of "what we should do to get this under control".

That's obvious, intuitive and clear. For example, if I wanted to fly to SOME country right now -- chances are that I cannot do it. But what if I had a test and showed I was clear to them?

How do they accept that test as valid? Simple, you have to have an international agreement there between the various "covid boards" and what's accepted & meets clear standards of practice.

That's just one example but without an actual plan -- and I mean a total plan everywhere, we will go nowhere with this at all and be doomed to an endless recovering from and falling back down cycle --- until forever.

Even a vaccine will be useless if sorry to say you are not forced to take it -- just to point that little elephant in the room out.

Bottom line -- no comprehensive plan and we will continue to fail. It's just that simple.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts