Model Train Forum banner

Northlandz saved from oblivion

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  seayakbill 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
I went there in 2015 after a ride behind the Black river and Western Consolidation. It didn’t impress me as being dirty or run down. I was impressed with it, but a bit disappointed that most of the trains were rather short for such a giant layout. I didn’t know it was ever closed. From their website, the new owner reopened it last September. Not sure if they are open now. The site only lists hours through 1/5/20.

Yellow Rock

Holy places Historic site Architecture Ancient history History

#11 ·
Yes, the "old management" was just a guy like you or me who built a layout.
That is how it started. Friends suggested he show the public so he opened up twice a year. Then he opened it up for the public.
He would play the organ when he was in the mood to. That organ was a site itself. I guess it is still there?

The new owner spent 300 grand fixing it up it has to be better now.
Even though it was majestic way back when. And look at the amount of modeling ONE guy did. I think at one time he had a few friend help him out.

A lot bitched about the short trains, he did have long ones running sometimes.
I think a lot of people will ***** about anything now a days. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just the amount of modeling was amazing to me. :smokin:

#13 ·
Northlandz Lives Again...and it will be better!!

I remember years ago in Smithsonian Magazine a picture of this red headed, bearded crazy man standing in a Gorge with the most beautiful bridge spanning the gap...yep it was Bruce Zaccagino and, The Project that Never Ends.....everyone thought he was crazy but people came to see this Layout...well he sold it as I'm sure age has done its job on him and heck he could use the money!! But the new owner and family have some serious money and if they stick with it...this is going to put Flemington, NJ back on the Map!! Tariq Sohail is to be commended for not leveling or tearing out this massive project...in one article I read on line his lead architect called him with"..Ah Boss...you need to see this space...NOW!! Well it has been cleaned up, new lighting, Food & Beverage area added or expanded...and Sohail wants to add an Education Area for future Model Railroaders...he is from Flemington and want s this area to grow with Northlanz!! and yes ...they added more Trains!!:laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

#15 ·
I visited the layout about 20 years ago, I was impressed with the size of the layout.

I was on the way to NYC for the annual Toy Fair event. I was fortunate to receive passes for Toy Fair through the company I worked for. Toy Fair was not open to the public just to the industry. While in NYC I also attended the K-Line Toy Fair event that was held offsite for K-Line Collector Club members. A lot of super bargains and freebes.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.