Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my eBay find today, MTH 30-4023-1. I thought I bought an eBay dud, but after a while, I figured out the whole neutral, forward, neutral, reverse thing. Then I hooked up my DCS commander remote (the sub $70 single locomotive controller). Nothing.... This loco is Proto-Soundr. Well *#&[email protected] !!!

:eek:hwell:

I looked at the upgrade instructions that I found on line, and I am more than capable of doing the physical installation. However, I don't have a DCS Command center (the expensive one), which is why I bought the small remote.

1. Where can I find a proto 2 or 3 upgrade kit? I would be happy with a NOS proto 2 kit if someone is willing to part with it. I don't know that I need proto 3, I just want to use the train with a remote control.
  2. Who does the audio programming and about how much would it cost me?

On a positive note, this loco has enough power and weight to maintain traction and pull my 5 car passenger consist (MTH, PRR 60' Madison cars), even around the O27 curves (a track upgrade is in the future too). This is the sole reason that I bought this kit. The couple pieces of rolling stock is just a bonus.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PS/2 kits are long gone, the PS/3 steam upgrade kit gives you the same capability with a couple of potential extras. However, at the price of the upgrade kit, $210 typically, I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade this locomotive.
You're right. I just eBay'd the same loco with PS2 for $200.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure any PS/2 you buy is the 3V board and not the old 5V board! Anything made after 2004 almost surely has the 3V board, and some of the 2004 models also have 3V boards.
Here is the manual for the 33-1008-1 from the MTH web site:
https://mthtrains.com/sites/default/files/download/instruction/33st18447i.pdf

On the front cover (3V PS2), so if that means what it looks like it means, I lucked out.

Other than 2V, what is the difference between the 3V and 5V boards? reliability? sound quality? power consumption?

·
Admin
44,230 Posts
The 5V boards are very failure prone, and there are also some suspect components that fail and usually take out the whole shooting match.

The 3V boards have been much more robust.

However, I'm not sure what you have! :D All these shots are from the user's manual, it has a split personality. ;)

This is clearly a 5V board, and it shows it in the locomotive!

001.png

This is the 2.4V battery stack for a 3V model.

002.png

This is the charging jack for a 5V model, the 3V is rectangular.

003.png

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just noticed that the sticker has "loco sound" on it. The listing says proto and the picture of the box says proto2. I hope this is nothing more than a picture mix up.

If it's misrepresented, it's going back AND the seller WILL pay the return shipping.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I contacted the seller. I suspect that this loco came from a ready to run set. The owner then upgraded to PS2 and put the LS locomotive into the PS2 box. The seller got a hold of it, knows only what is on the box, and sold it as such.

I'm going to wait until Friday when USPS drops it off at my door and I find out exactly what it is. More to come...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, it's loco sound. The seller refunded a portion of the price, so I'm going to keep it.

I know it's an over improvement, but who does good work at a fair price for a PS/3 kit install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts