Model Train Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
I was thinking for something like a retrofit on a non-command engine… like early Sunset/3rd Rail or Weaver and Williams brass, etc.
I have heard of people doing an upgrade of the Shay with a diesel board and a multi-wire tether, so with the board in the locomotive, it could probably be done. Like I said, it would be a totally custom wiring job, and given the tiny pins in the 1mm pitch diesel board connector, a really fun time building the harnesses. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was thinking for something like a retrofit on a non-command engine… like early Sunset/3rd Rail or Weaver and Williams brass, etc.
You can load a PS3 steam sound file (not the chain file) into a PS3 diesel board without issue. I've done it for fun just to see if it worked and there wasn't a problem.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
You can load a PS3 steam sound file (not the chain file) into a PS3 diesel board without issue. I've done it for fun just to see if it worked and there wasn't a problem.
Correct, you can load the sound file. The chain file selection will probably determine what works, lights, chuffing, etc. I confess, though I have heard of it done, I have never done it myself. I don't know how difficult it would be to find a correct chain file that would work in concert with the sound file to allow all the lights and action to work properly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Correct, you can load the sound file. The chain file selection will probably determine what works, lights, chuffing, etc. I confess, though I have heard of it done, I have never done it myself. I don't know how difficult it would be to find a correct chain file that would work in concert with the sound file to allow all the lights and action to work properly.
When I did it with a Premier PS3 Alco PA I loaded a Premier PS3 GS4 Northern sound file into it just to see what it would do. It actually chuffed smoke fine and the headlight/reverse light worked correctly, however all the other lighting was wonky and turned on and of depending on direction.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
When I did it with a Premier PS3 Alco PA I loaded a Premier PS3 GS4 Northern sound file into it just to see what it would do. It actually chuffed smoke fine and the headlight/reverse light worked correctly, however all the other lighting was wonky and turned on and of depending on direction.
Kinda' what I would expect. I do know there is some combination of sound and chain files that will work, at least I've been told that. If the issue ever comes up for me, I'll track down the source. 😅

I would expect the major features would probably work, front and rear lights, smoke, couplers. However, stuff like markers, MARS lights, beacons, firebox flicker, probably would be iffy.

You might have better luck loading the PS32 chain file for steam, the PS32 board is really just a diesel board with a slightly different layout. I believe that's what was done for the Shay board replacement I mentioned.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Kinda' what I would expect. I do know there is some combination of sound and chain files that will work, at least I've been told that. If the issue ever comes up for me, I'll track down the source. 😅

I would expect the major features would probably work, front and rear lights, smoke, couplers. However, stuff like markers, MARS lights, beacons, firebox flicker, probably would be iffy.

You might have better luck loading the PS32 chain file for steam, the PS32 board is really just a diesel board with a slightly different layout. I believe that's what was done for the Shay board replacement I mentioned.
The PS32 chain file might make the lighting functions work correctly, but I'd rather try that with a spare PS3 diesel board than one of my locomotives. Not that I think it'll brick it, but I'd rather not run that risk. Unfortunately I don't have any spare PS3 diesel boards, just a couple PS32 boards for some projects I have to finish up.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
The experiment was a success and the patient lived! I took a stock diesel PS/3 board and cooked the PS32 steam chain files into it and then loaded a PS/2 steam file. It acted just like a steam engine, lights, couplers, sounds, and smoke.

I even had to load the special chain file for missing chuffs for the PS32 board for one of the sound files. It acted just like a PS32 board as near as I could see. The GS4 strobe worked as it should, I think this is a viable way to go if you have some diesel boards floating around and are good with really tiny 1mm pitch connector pins. :p:p

·
Registered
383 Posts
The experiment was a success and the patient lived! I took a stock diesel PS/3 board and cooked the PS32 steam chain files into it and then loaded a PS/2 steam file. It acted just like a steam engine, lights, couplers, sounds, and smoke.

I even had to load the special chain file for missing chuffs for the PS32 board for one of the sound files. It acted just like a PS32 board as near as I could see. The GS4 strobe worked as it should, I think this is a viable way to go if you have some diesel boards floating around and are good with really tiny 1mm pitch connector pins. :p:p
Did you try a PS3 steam file? I run PS3 steam sound files with the PS32 chain file in PS32 boards in all my steam PS3 upgrades with no issues. I'm curious how the lighting would work. I know the couplers, smoke, front/rear lights will work fine, but I'm curious how all the other lighting behaves.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
For many here, It might easier to splice wires with assembled pigtails. If they're the 1mm JST-SH connectors, pigtails are a few bucks for a half dozen on eBay, et al. Free shipping on "The slow boat from China."
They're not JST connectors, they're JS-1253 Chyao Shiunn connectors. There are many similar pitch connector parts, but subtle variations in the contact design make it mandatory to use the correct pins, especially at these small sizes.
Did you try a PS3 steam file? I run PS3 steam sound files with the PS32 chain file in PS32 boards in all my steam PS3 upgrades with no issues. I'm curious how the lighting would work. I know the couplers, smoke, front/rear lights will work fine, but I'm curious how all the other lighting behaves.
No, but It should work exactly like it would with the PS32 board. Since they take longer to load, and I already spent enough time on the experiment, that is left as an exercise for the student. :D

61 - 75 of 75 Posts