Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little something you don't see all the time. Marx 3/16" scale O-gauge tin trains. Made to the same scale as American Flyer S scale, but it runs on regular three rail O-gauge track. The locomotive is a die-cast 999 but everything else is stamped sheetmetal. I've developed quite a liking to these tin trains. Almost tempted to redo my layout into an all tin world of 3/16" scale on O-gauge three rail track. But I also like smoking steamers and the 999 don't smoke.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have a couple old Lionel O27 boxcars (don't remember numbers but one's for fishing tackle and one's for shredded wheat) that look really nice coupled behind a 999 using a plastic Marx tender with Lionel trucks and coupler.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jim,

That Marx loco and tender look superb! Nice restoration work!

TJ
Thanks. I've wanted one of these for a few years now. I called this a refurbishment, because I didn't make the die cast tender look as it did when it came from the Marx factory. It originally had NYC livery, but I changed that to B&M. I also added a coal pile to the tender to make it look a little fuller. The finished loco runs very smoothly and smokes unbelievably well. Below is a link to a thread on how I brought the loco and tender to their present condition.

http://www.ogaugehobbyist.com/wp/forum/forum-3rail/marx-3333991-refurbishment/

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
Jim,

I really enjoyed your how-to via that link above. Very meticulous work on your part. I especially liked the home-made reproduction loco label. Little details like that that really highlight the quality of work.

Thanks for sharing,

TJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.