Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about Art's post about the practicality of long passenger trains, this link was posted on OGR yesterday of the 4014 in California.

https://railpictures.net/photo/713905/

How many would have room to run something like this? I am actually trying to put together something similar but not sure I could even run it on the club layout.
As best I can tell its headed up by 4014 followed by a pair of water tenders and maybe two diesels. Can't really count all the cars.

Pete

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Interesting...it says I have to disable my AdBlock Plus to view the video. I disable it, but it still says I have to disable it to view the video! But I do get a very short view of the train before the advisory pops up.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its actually just a photo. I was able to download it but was reluctant to post it here as its clearly labeled copyrighted. Some forums don't want copyrighted photos posted.

Pete

·
Registered
916 Posts
That is amazing, especially in the this age. I have always felt that the Union Pacific has always known how to do it right and has the courage to do so. To me they are more than just another railroad and this is just another example in my view.

Great picture, Pete.

Art

·
Registered
809 Posts
Interesting...it says I have to disable my AdBlock Plus to view the video. I disable it, but it still says I have to disable it to view the video! But I do get a very short view of the train before the advisory pops up.

Same here, I get away frem those pop ups as soon as possible, and you maybe should not click on them.

Dan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How did I get stuck living in NJ:confused:
I was mesmerized by the rail work in the bottom of the picture.

23 cars?

·
Registered
722 Posts
From an operational viewpoint, that train is probably "handled" more like a freight train, insofar as braking is concerned.

I'm wondering if the "graduated release" feature (which is standard on modestly-sized passenger trains) will work with a consist that long...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was there to see it. My wife and I chased it from Colton Yard and caught up to it on the highway. Traffic was snarled both directions as it snaked through the hills and mountains.

We got some shots and video as it approached Victorville Amtrak station and at a spot in the desert about 10 miles outside of Barstow. We drove past it again and waited for what seemed like an eternity for it to travel a few miles at speed. Turns out the whole train turned around at some point and backed into Barstow. Then we caught it leaving Barstow as it travelled backwards to the spot up the line to a yard for overnight storage.

At Barstow they have a model train museum, the Route 66 Museum and in the Barstow station used to be a Harvey House. It was open when we were there but we spent all the time with the Big Boy. Other times we visited it was on the way home from a Vegas trip on a Sunday and they were closed.

I will be having all of the Lionel UP Excursion Train cars, but I don't think they'll be making as many as they had on this trip.

I didn't get a chance to download my pictures yet, when we got home we started getting ready to go to York. Here is an iPhone drive-by shot as we passed Victorville Amtrak station.

W9f0AoolQYOTRky6gD47VA.jpg

Barstow Amtrak Station and Train Museum entrance.

X9butfNpRFW93wE08PdH+Q.jpg

hzs4aP7OQMaMY+4pzorJnQ.jpg

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty cool Brian. Can't see the station from trackside on google earth.
BTW if you need more UP cars the Challenger cars will work. Only difference is the period diaphragms vs the current version. Easily remedied. I have a stack of modern ones if you decide to go that route.

Pete

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is a Utube video of Big Boy going up Cajon Pass on the way to Barstow Calif. It has 23 cars on it. Skip ahead to the 13 minute mark.

Ed

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a 12 car set of the Atlas California Zephyr 21" coaches. My layout is 48' x13'. When I run my CZ coaches it eats up a lot of track.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Pretty cool Brian. Can't see the station from trackside on google earth.
BTW if you need more UP cars the Challenger cars will work. Only difference is the period diaphragms vs the current version. Easily remedied. I have a stack of modern ones if you decide to go that route.

Pete
Thanks Pete. I was wondering if the Challenger cars would be a close match. I’ll have to decide what I want to do. I generally like my passenger trains at about 12–14 cars max.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Realistically, if your layout is not as big as the NJHR's 12 cars is plenty. Thats 21 feet of cars and then add few engines.
Just for reference here is a Challenger car next to an Excursion car. The couplers have been moved inward 1/4" for closer coupling. The kinematic design allows them the take the curves without derailing.
A while back someone posted a pic on OGR showing a pair of cars coupled together and one still had the older style diaphragms.

UP_Ex_Ch.jpg

image.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
513 Posts
Realistically, if your layout is not as big as the NJHR's 12 cars is plenty. Thats 21 feet of cars and then add few engines.
Just for reference here is a Challenger car next to an Excursion car. The couplers have been moved inward 1/4" for closer coupling. The kinematic design allows them the take the curves without derailing.
A while back someone posted a pic on OGR showing a pair of cars coupled together and one still had the older style diaphragms.

View attachment 511802 3

Pete

What did you have to do to move the couplers in closer? My Atlas coaches have adjustable couplers, but MTH coaches don't have them.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What did you have to do to move the couplers in closer? My Atlas coaches have adjustable couplers, but MTH coaches don't have them.
The kinematic design makes it easy. You just have drill and tap four new holes. (M2.5 x .4 I think) The couplers are not attached to the trucks, just the body. You can decide how far back you want them.

Here is pic with them in their new position. The original holes near the end.
Kin_1.jpg

Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts