Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Interesting request... and not surprising you didn't find alot of published information on them, given the sensitivity of the cargo involved.

I did some digging, found a few things:

http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/states/us.htm

There is also a breakdown of specific state routes on that web page above as well. Nothing on equipment though..

http://www.nirs.org/radwaste/hlwtransport/mobilechernobyl.htm

A quote on how piggyback containers are being used:

Information on the shipment of high-level radioactive waste through Takoma Park, Maryland, December 15, 2004: The U.S. Department of Energy has targeted Takoma Park as a transportation route for high-level radioactive waste (HLRW) bound for its proposed national dump-site at Yucca Mountain, Nevada. The CSX railway, immediately next to the Takoma Metro Station, would carry up to nearly 2,000 “truck” containers (truck-sized containers loaded “piggy-back” upon train cars) and/or over 300 much larger “train” containers, of HLRW through town. A single accident or terrorist attack could release catastrophic amounts of radioactivity. Because the waste is so radioactive, emanating gamma radiation like a mobile x-ray machine that cannot be turned off, even “routine,” accident-free shipments would still deliver a potentially harmful radiation dose to innocent bystanders.

Some other images I found on Google:

CP Rail Nuclear Waste Train:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TR,
thanks for the post. The first two images I have also seen on google but since they are European I didn't pay much attention to them. The last one of the CP Rail locos I have not seen before. Most of what I have found was using SP locos with DODX flat cars and a DODX caboose.

Many years ago I saw an article in some train mag about how to custom build your own rolling stock. I wonder how hard it would be to build something like these cars cause I really doubt any of the major manufactures would be interested in producing such a car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd like to see this when you've finished it! If you make a layout based in Colorado, you could go back and re-record the Atomic Train movie.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress---don't forget the peaceniks, 60s wannabes and tree huggers chained to a fence or lying down blocking the road:thumbsup:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
Wow, had no clue you could model a nuclear waste plant in HO. That's almost a little scary to think about.
It's amazing what you can do with a soda and mustard containers . And a pie plate?:laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts