Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought three identical coal hoppers on e-bay. I will need to change their numbers (they also are the same). How will I remove the old numbers, considering they are packd very close underneath the L&N logo, which I don't want to damage?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
You can try to soften the number you want to remove with airbrush cleaner......at least that’s what I use.....maybe test first on a spot that’s not visible, to make sure it won’t dissolve the paint right down to the plastic.....let it soak on the number to be removed for a minute, then gently rub, or gently scrap (I use a curved exacto blade) the number.......the paint should crumble or curdle off.....it might take a couple of soakings, as the paint layer is removed......when the number is gone, carefully wipe dry, then you are ready to re-decal a new number.....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I just bought three identical coal hoppers on e-bay. I will need to change their numbers (they also are the same). How will I remove the old numbers, considering they are packd very close underneath the L&N logo, which I don't want to damage?
Migbait;

First put a piece of 3M Scotch brand blue painter's tape over the L& N logo that you want to save. Press it down tightly on the side closest to the car number you want to remove. Next, you might try a pencil eraser. Use a white one of those replacement erasers that go over the original eraser when it wears down. Wet the eraser with a bit of 70% alcohol. As Old Hobo suggested, try this on an old car first, to see how it works.

Good Luck & Have Fun ;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Migbait;

First put a piece of 3M Scotch brand blue painter's tape over the L& N logo that you want to save. Press it down tightly on the side closest to the car number you want to remove. Next, you might try a pencil eraser. Use a white one of those replacement erasers that go over the original eraser when it wears down. Wet the eraser with a bit of 70% alcohol. As Old Hobo suggested, try this on an old car first, to see how it works.

Good Luck & Have Fun ;

Traction Fan 🙂
I will do as you guys suggest. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts