Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYC was one of the local favorites where I grew up. I always liked the Alco FAs and I have been looking for decent set depicting both of those elements for the collection.

I would have preferred a set in the later “Cigar Band” scheme, but the lightning stripes look good too.

This set is Lionel FA-2 TMCC with a B unit and two A units. I found a second B unit to go with the set. It might be a lot for one powered unit to move though.

Finally, I even have an original Alco builder’s plate off an Alco FA. It is from the NYC 1035, which was a FA-1....

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice looking set. I had Weavers version many years ago. How things have changed. The Lionel is loaded with extra details as well as sound. I’ve always liked the FA’s. Not so long that an ABA set overwhelms the layout. I’m a sucker for Alco’s. Really the only diesel sound I can put up with for more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I picked up these last year. The "dummy" A came with smoke, electro coupler, and lights with a radio board. I added powered trucks and a Cruise M along with a Cruise M in the Powered A. The dummy B was empty but now has smoke and sound. The units below had not warmed up yet but after a minute or two will smoke out the room. Also made fixed front pilot for the leading A.

image.jpg

I posted a video of these on OGR but without a youtube account I can't upload it here.
Even with the upgrades total cost was about a third of 3rd Rails new release.

Pete

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice mods there, Pete. I have a few ABBA sets that could use additional power. I don’t run them yet, so I am not sure how the sets will pull. The MTH sets have the slave unit, but the Lionel ones don’t for the most part. I do have a Lionel Santa Fe ABBA set with two powered units...

Tom

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The TMCC F3 powered Bs come up a lot. I am not even sure Lionel made a powered B for the FAs. If you can wait until next years half off parts sale at Lionel you get the parts to power your trailing A unit. Total cost should be under 150 bucks. You would need a pair of geared trucks, two motors one with a tach sensor, Odyssey motor driver, and some wire harnesses. You can transfer the pickup rollers and sideframes to the power trucks.
I went with Cruise Ms because I had them and allowed me to use the less expensive motors without the tach sensors.

If you can find powered Bs then ignore above.

My FAs running in the middle of this thread.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/lionel-alco-pa-lives-up-to-reputation-as-honorary-steam-engine?reply=85480113091455220#85480113091455220

Pete

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
That is a good looking set. I prefer this paint scheme to the cigar band, actually. Makes for a very handsome loco with just a little bit of "snazzy."

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete, they make one in the Legacy line. I might consider that if they can “mesh” with the TMCC stuff I have already...

Thanks Chief!

Thank you Lee. The lightning stripe is attractive. The reason I liked the cigar band paint scheme is that I remember seeing a train with a cigar band FA in the lead. It was Penn Central by then, but the engine was still painted NYC. One of my early childhood memories of trains!

Tom

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I have seen the Legacy version. They would run together if the gear ratio was the same but I doubt it is. The Legacy one has liondrive vs the common worm on the motor drive which the TMCC engine has. For the price of the Legacy B you could likely get another AA set and use that powered A. It wouldn't even have to be NYC, just swap shells.
One other thing, as a general rule the liondrive engines ride higher than the equivalent worm drive engines. I know thats true with the F3s at least.

Pete

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good points there, Pete. I never would have known that.

I am curious now to see if the powered A unit chassis will fit in the B unit shell. I imagine some modifications may be needed.

But then again, I can just add another powered A unit to the consist by swapping shells with the dummy A to get the different cab numbers. The B units will not have smoke though...

Likely my next project!

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts