Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One finds info in the strangest places. With all the hoopla about grades, pull,inclines, I robbed this off You tube for your enjoyment. Seven cars and a 6 inch climb over 360 degrees. Enjoy

Rickbigs:
A helix is used to change track levels using the lowest amount of table space. This one rises 6 inches in each 54 inch circle for a grade of about 3.5 percent. This same 6 inch rise would take 171 inches, or 14 ft of straight track. In this case, the helix takes a train from table top level, to just above door level, which is a total of about 28 inches. See my more recent videos for more details. More importantly, my wife saw one in HO, and specified that I had to have one on my layout
Mine is 42" in, and 54" out, with 6" layers(top of track to top of track, so clearence is app 4 3/4 inches. The Polar Express is pulling all it can on the outside. It will not pull up the same cars on the inside. If you let me know the type and how many you want to pull up yours, I can try it on my 0-42 loop over the holidays.

Advice: 1)If using 1/2 inch ply, use 4 ply instead of 3 ply. 3 ply flexes too much. 2)Don't forget the transistion grade top and bottom. Can be straight tracks

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks, T-man. That video just opened my eyes up to a new world of possibilities. I'm running in a tight space for my O setup - 4'x13'. I really wanted to do a second level, but just can't quite pull of the grade. But with a helix I can get there.

Hmmm. That's great food for thought.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen one or two on my Tour during Thanksgiving weekend. They were in N and HO. The N was large enough for my son and another kid to crawl and sit inside, when he was smaller. I had a fit but no damage was done. Often these cellar layouts if they are multilevel have a helix.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yup, it just makes perfect sense. I had been considering going to a L, but didn't really want to eat up that space since our basement is pretty small. I've already built the table 4' high, so there's plenty of room for the second level.

Time to find some more of those videos. :)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
T-Man,

GREAT video links ... I've never seen a helix in O before ... certainly not anything that multi-layered.

I like his full-loop video ... neat cable-stayed bridges! Very eye-catching.

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Domino, not the pizza

Actually it 's all dominoes. Yep the domino effect.

I have read about them in CTT in the past
acwilli sent me a post about inclines.
I thought and decided the helix was the ultimate incline.
AT first I suggested CTT
THEN STUCK BY LIGHTNING I thought you tube and found the video.
With all the tech specs. WOW

So the author Rickbigs deserves credit.

The domino effect, one thing leads to another.

I have always thought that discussion groups just lack the visual experience

I should go rate his video.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hey Rick,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for chiming in ... that's a really fun, creative layout. Hope to see you hanging 'round the Forum a bit.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum!
You are the first to find us through YouTube.

In the future when you do any maintenance on your treaures please post some pics on the insides. All I see are the diagrams and it would be a real treat.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Bob,
Not sure what you mean by my 'treasures'. If you are talking about in-process pictures of the layout, then you can check out my blog http://rickbigs.blogspot.com/. If you are talking about engines and stuff, that would be an intersting thread. I don't recall ever seeing a thread like that on any of the forums.
Rick

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Rick
I am a mechanical kind of guy. Shells are OK but I like under the hood view.
That's why I find HO so confusing. I just need to see the motor. Brands or engine types are so numerous in that scale, to me anyway they don't mean much. I have a few favorites but that is about it.
Getting back to your question, You have modern engines. Even the Polar Express would be a treat . I see a lot a questions on just what the switches do! The nice thing about this forum is there is more openness about information and we don't deal with loyalties to magazines or manufacturers that restrict other sites.
As you can tell I don't have new models, I tend to look for older ones lately.
Another thing I need to look at is blogs too
Thanks for the link.
Bob

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words. The videos T-Man posted are very old, and were in the initial stages of the Helix Loop construction. I will attempt to attach a couple newer ones (well, couldn't figure it out, but here are the links). You can search NTS&B in youtube for latest and other in-process videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbTvaU2TleI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS3-9e_KskA

Rick

Excellent! :thumbsup: Love it all. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Rick

Love the layout. I got many ideas from it.

I think I'll expand to where the washer and dryer were, we'll just use the laundramat.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd like to see a video of trains going up and down the helix at the same time. It would be too cool for this big kid.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've already started working on my wife to convince her all the shelving in the back of the basement needs to be moved to make more space for a future helix on my O layout. :)

·
Admin
44,778 Posts
Hi Rick
I am a mechanical kind of guy. Shells are OK but I like under the hood view.
That's why I find HO so confusing. I just need to see the motor. Brands or engine types are so numerous in that scale, to me anyway they don't mean much. I have a few favorites but that is about it.
Getting back to your question, You have modern engines. Even the Polar Express would be a treat . I see a lot a questions on just what the switches do! The nice thing about this forum is there is more openness about information and we don't deal with loyalties to magazines or manufacturers that restrict other sites.
As you can tell I don't have new models, I tend to look for older ones lately.
Another thing I need to look at is blogs too
Thanks for the link.
Bob
I'll have to take one of my new TMCC engines apart for you and shoot some pictures. :D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts