Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

The transformer is 1960 vintage I am told

It is Lionel 'Trainmaster Toy Transformer' It is a small square box 4 3/8" X 3 3/4"

It is black and it tapers up on all sides slightly from the base. The edges have
thin wanes. The top has a 90 degree angle with a curved bottom and a long knob that moves in an arc to controll the speed

Could not find any model # etc.

It hums when turned on .

That's all I know for now.

Cheers

Aaron

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the help of my Neighbor I tested the transformer and it works.

The loco seems to be getting power and makes a noise but does not go anywhere

So I removed the motor from wheels (motor still connect to wheels with wires,
And the motor does run and speeds up and slows down, BUT the gear on the side of the motor housing does not spin.

Should it be possible to remove the motor from the motor housing?

Thanks

Aaron

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Aaron,

Can you identify which loco, and post some detailed pics of the motor, gears, etc.? It would certainly help with any diagnosis on this end.

TJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will add photos

I will get my wife to help with scanning in some photos and will post them

Thanks

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I will get my wife to help with scanning in some photos and will post them

Thanks
If you have a digital camera you can post here from it.
What kind of engine is it?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Aaron,

Here's a link/thread that offers some tips on how to post pictures here on the forum ... just in case you had any questions of the process. "Attach" is easy ... we see little icons, and then can click on them. "Insert Image" requires a couple of extra steps, but we see the images posted directly in the thread. Go with whatever is easiest for you.

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=2595

Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pictures of eengine and motor

Hello All hare are the images - hopefully this works

I notices that the motor has some masking tape around it near where it fits into the plastic motor assembly . This leads me to believe that it should come out. I tried to pull it out but it would not come and I did not want to damage it.

Thanks for all your help

Aaron

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
The 8670 Chessie switcher came from the 1600 Yard boss set. It is a DC only engine. It won't run on AC.
I have never worked on one of these engines so I can't help you. Something tells me they are not made to be fixed just replaced. Wait till T comes on he has probably had one apart before.

Nice clear pictures.:thumbsup:

Edit...............................,
You do have the wires hooked to the DC terminals right? That transformer I think has both terminals for AC and DC.
That engine is DC only.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
So I removed the motor from wheels (motor still connect to wheels with wires,
And the motor does run and speeds up and slows down, BUT the gear on the side of the motor housing does not spin.

Aaron

Well ... good news and bad news, I think. It sound like you got the motor running via DC power. That's good. But if the white gear isn't turning (only the exposed metal motor shaft is turning), then there's something wrong with the gearing that's housed WITHIN the black cluster on the left side of your motor pics. My guess is that there's some sort of a worm gear reduction gear inside there. And if the shaft turns, but the exposed white gear doesn't, then either:

a. One of the gears is slipping on its shaft ... the worm gear, maybe? Or,

b. One of the gears inside the black cluster has slipped out of its bearings and is not meshing.

I think you might be able to pull the motor away from the cluster, but the cluster itself seems to be rivetted shut with 3 rivets. If your ambitios, you could certainly drill those out, open up the cluster, try to fix what's there, and reassemble with small screws.

Hope this helps,

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim, T-Man ...

You guys easily would give old Melvil Dewey a run for his money ... his Dewey Decimal System has nothin' on the info you guys can pull out of your fingertips! Nice work!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,647 Posts
His switcher has an older system described in the index. If he gets a chance he may be better of upgrading the whole thing. I have an 8161 Laser. For twenty you can snatch on on ebay and just switch the shells. That way you have the common motor used in all the engines and get rid of the nightmare of the gears. I have it listed as 1976. The 8161 is 82-83. They both are common and have the same value.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts