Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just bought a Lionel legacy big boy here. Now it says in Lionel listing it requires a minimum O-72 track.. is this scale?? I bought 2 different cars for this thing I got 2 scale box cars which are big, and 4 O-gauge passenger cars that look too small. The guy by my house owns a store says I want scale cars, as the loco is so big. This could cost me a lot of money if I don’t figure out what to buy here. Lionel says their high end stuff is a higher gauge, but I’m just getting into this and don’t know what that means..

·
Registered
568 Posts
There is a link above which explains the differences but please excuse me - your post seems odd in that you apparently purchased a high end locomotive without this prior experience. Do you have an O Scale layout?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Full length O scale 85' passenger cars are really long. Most O scale passenger cars are underscale and compressed in dimension.

Much like some foreign HO passenger cars that are actually 1/100 scale instead of 1/87. You have to pay attention to the descriptions before you order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have o gauge fast track using o-96 curves so the overhang isn’t as bad. Legacy remote. Everything works fine. I just don’t fully understand the car part I guess.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Chris, that's a tricky question. If you look in the O gauge forum here there is a sticky that helps to explain.

Post war were a compressed size to negotiate O27 and O31 curves. Now some of your high end modern is full scale (1/48) and needs O72 curves.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome to model train hobby.

Scale is size in relation to reality. In the US true O "scale" is 1/48 but much of the ruling stock like your passenger cars is compressed in scale and made smaller to go around tight curves. Your Boxcar might be what is known as "scale".

Gauge is the distance between the rails the trains run on. All of what you have is O Gauge.

Then you have the conference of a circle of track in inches as denoted by O-x. O-27 is the old Lionel standard curves and cars that are compressed will often be marked O-27 indicating they will go around curves from a a 27 inch circle.

Your Big Boy requires curves from a 72" circle. I hope your planned layout is big enough to handle that.

EDIT: looks lines you've got O-96 curves so you should be fine. With those curves and apparently the budget for a Big Boy' I think you can safely stick with "Scale" rolling stock.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Though I just looked and the OP's first post is missing all his comparison pictures.
The thread still may help a little if you read through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Full length O scale 85' passenger cars are really long. Most O scale passenger cars are underscale and compressed in dimension.

Much like some foreign HO passenger cars that are actually 1/100 scale instead of 1/87. You have to pay attention to the descriptions before you order.
I didn’t order the car from anyone. This is from a hobby shop and the owner said the big boy is so large, that I can use scale cars. But it’s a car hauler. It’s huge. Much bigger than my passenger cars I have. I haven’t pulled it out of the box yet to see how it looks, as I may just return it and buy something else.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you have any kind of railroad yet?
If it's smaller-sized (relatively speaking), then "the big stuff" probably isn't going to run on it...

·
Registered
816 Posts
By the way the car in question is this one. So anyone can see what they think...

That car is going to look off with the big boy. The era is completely different. It's also significantly larger and taller than just about any car from the steam era.

Your hobby is your own but perhaps it would be best to return the autorack and the passenger cars and take time to choose era appropriate "Scale" cars to accompany your big boy.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I didn’t order the car from anyone. This is from a hobby shop and the owner said the big boy is so large, that I can use scale cars. But it’s a car hauler. It’s huge. Much bigger than my passenger cars I have. I haven’t pulled it out of the box yet to see how it looks, as I may just return it and buy something else.
I did not mean to infer that you did. It was just a general statement that anyone must read the ad copy closely before an online purchase of rolling stock to minimize later surprises.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think you should decide if you want to run a passenger train or freight train. The consists are seldom, if ever mixed. Of course, it's your railroad, so you can run what you like. That said, I think either train looks good with a single purpose consist. You could run a passenger train for awhile and a freight consist at another time for variety.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you should decide if you want to run a passenger train or freight train. The consists are seldom, if ever mixed. Of course, it's your railroad, so you can run what you like. That said, I think either train looks good with a single purpose consist. You could run a passenger train for awhile and a freight consist at another time for variety.
That’s what I think I’m going to do maybe have two rows of cars and just switch between the two. I like that idea.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I like your idea. I used to do something similar with a floor layout. One train running on the main loop and second train the switched siding. I was running DCS at the time, so I could easily run one train at a time while the second train was sitting on the siding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
By the way the car in question is this one. So anyone can see what they think...

The description states minimum 0-54 turns so it should run on your 0-96 turns, as for looks It is up to you it is YOUR layout! Do as you please to meet your expectations! Some of the other model Rail roaders here are purists and have to meet every expectation of the modeling experience! It is all in the eye of the beholder! I myself is running a ceiling layout in the garage and am using every different kind of cars, engines and doing my own custom painting for my companies trade shows. We metalize plastic bottle caps, so I have been metalizing various flat cars to carry our finished products on them to show them off! BTW the Locomotive pulling the flat cars will be chromed also!
I know I know sac-religious! But . . .
Happy Rail Roading!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I gather you don't want a huge loco towing tiny cars: doesn't look good. I suggest viewing a couple of YouTube videos showing the real BigBoy with a consist. That will give you an idea of the loco's size relative to the cars in tow.

As Eieif pointed out, scale cars can be very long. But there are cars available that are near scale in height/width, just compressed in length. If you have several cars like that in a consist, the compressed length of the cars will not look so out of place (IMHO). Height and Width matter more.

I suggest you measure the height and width of the cars you have now as a reference point (use a consistent method "Height above the rail"). Then others can chime in with measurements of known model lines.

I'll start: Williams Crown Line Edition Passenger cars - Extruded Aluminum, from the 1980's. They are large but short. Williams is a economical brand on the eBay market. A very nice product unless you want scale interiors with figures seated, inter-car vestibules, etc. My 5-car and 2-Car add on set me back $290 total including tax and shipping ($225 and $65). That includes baggage, diner, vista dome and 2x passenger, combo and observation cars. The eBay offer below is a another example of the exact same SP Daylight 5-Car set: Note condition is New. They measure: 2 1/2" wide x 15 1/4 long (not including the couplers) by 3" 3/8" H (from top of rail). There are some YouYube videos: Search Williams - Crown Line and/or Aluminum - Passenger cars

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
The Rhätische Bahn is the only modern railroad I've seen run mix freight/passenger service in the same consist.

I would think for a smaller railroad it would be a great money saver/maker.

The RhB will hook up local freights like cement, logging, or ore cars and spot them at the required stop while a switcher takes them off the main into the industrial siding and the passenger train continues on. The same might happen on the way back by another train.

Just day to day business on the RhB.

Reactions: Chris2788
1 - 20 of 21 Posts