Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have 10 O22 switches and all were dirty...
took each one apart, some needed soldering and cleaning, some just cleaning and oiling...
brought 9 back and running great. Anti derail and all. Albeit i need new light housings (saw them on ebay)

but this one is killing me. just cant figure it out.
ive watched many youtube videos, found articles here and other topics here that have all helped...

now...
my o22 giving issues...

1. light works
2. can drive through it straight or turn manually operating turn.
Will not throw the other way for anti derail
3. switch does function to go straight, will not go into Left turn.
so if i manually set it to left and use a pair of needle nose pliers on center and a pin, it switches to go straight, will not if you do the other side...

so appears no voltage to the one side...

if I ohm out across 2 pins on a functioning switch, i get beeps and 5-10ohms... no matter the combination...

on this switch nothing

thoughts on what to look for?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
By connecting to the center you complete the ground.
Power is getting to the right(side that works)
But is missing on the left. Check solder points.

Try using center rail power to plug area.
A sliding contact could be bending upward.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bought some and hopefully when they get here, ill just swap it out along with another... then fix them later..
but side question.. I know people like these so they are not selling them (had a wtb here)...

what is a good going rate for them?
bought 7 for $75 shipped.. no bulbs, lanterns, switches.. just the tracks... good deal? or so-so?
of course its a great deal as you will have them... even if it was hundreds.. just means you spent more...:p

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone ever replace one of the posts you connect the wires too? i broke the center one off of one and trying to figure out what i can do. im thinking one could drill it out (somehow) and put a bolt in there and solder the wire to it...
or is there an easier way?

so i got my new ones in and i didnt look at the ebay pic enough.. 2 were marx switches so not going to use... 1 x and 1 + leaving 5 o22s... 1 worked and the other facing the way i need it to does not so need to fix... other 3 are lefts and not needed... yet...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
You do not need the center post. Connect the other two posts to the switch controller and the wire that goes to the center post can be connected to the outer rail or to the transformer. The switch controller only connects one outer post to the center to activate the switch. So why have the wire go all the way back to the switch? Exactly it doesn't have to.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks.. well before seeing this.. i simply soldered a wire on top and hooked it up hah.

yes 1 wire less to run would be nice, but still have 2 ran.. so then what is one more...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts