Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my father's train set out of storage, it hasn't been used since the 80's. I had the KW transformer refurbished and I cleaned up the steam locomotives. They run great and I couldn't be happier but I wanted to try and set up a more elaborate track. I found two pair of remote switches that are powered directly from the track (1122). Each remote operates two switch tracks and there is a light that shines through a cutout Lionel Logo on the top and the red/green indicator on the sides.

I put them in the track and both the switches and remotes lit up as they are supposed to. But they won't switch back and forth. Each of the four switch tracks has the same problem. All four tracks are in the closed position and they will not open via the remote control. I have taken the covers off and opened the tracks manually, they are cleaned and oiled. I can then close the tracks with the remote but get nothing when i try to open them. I know they are almost 70 years old but i find it strange that all four switch tracks have the same exact problem. Is there something I am not setting up correctly? Why would all four close without a problem but not open? The solenoids buzz when I try to close a a switch that is already closed as they can't move any further.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but hopefully it wasn't too confusing.

-Ed

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,218 Posts
I just pulled my father's train set out of storage, it hasn't been used since the 80's. I had the KW transformer refurbished and I cleaned up the steam locomotives. They run great and I couldn't be happier but I wanted to try and set up a more elaborate track. I found two pair of remote switches that are powered directly from the track (1122). Each remote operates two switch tracks and there is a light that shines through a cutout Lionel Logo on the top and the red/green indicator on the sides.

I put them in the track and both the switches and remotes lit up as they are supposed to. But they won't switch back and forth. Each of the four switch tracks has the same problem. All four tracks are in the closed position and they will not open via the remote control. I have taken the covers off and opened the tracks manually, they are cleaned and oiled. I can then close the tracks with the remote but get nothing when i try to open them. I know they are almost 70 years old but i find it strange that all four switch tracks have the same exact problem. Is there something I am not setting up correctly? Why would all four close without a problem but not open? The solenoids buzz when I try to close a a switch that is already closed as they can't move any further.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but hopefully it wasn't too confusing.

-Ed
Give this a bump.
This question has sat unanswered for 2 days? :dunno:

Are you sure the wires are hooked up right?
Are you using any insulated pins anywhere?

·
Hobo for Life
6,238 Posts
I'm going with the wires are not run correctly or the insulated pins are not in correctly. These are antiderailing switches. How are they wired? Do you have insulated pins in place and where?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts