Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago i had an idea, that idea was to test what different oils work best in Lionel Postwar/Prewar locos. the oils rang from Vegetable oils like Olive, and Actual Machine oils.

Bottom line is would yall recommend me doing this, I have no clue if it will damage my loco

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would not cook with motor oil, so use the proper oil for the purpose intended.
Here is a kit with the proper oil and grease for our trains.

Larry
nice joke, while yes I know specific oils like that exist I'm gonna do this experiment anyway because why not, I'm gonna use a junked scout anyway so nothing of value just a simple 246 with a crummy motor

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I would not use a vegetable based oil on anything mechanical. It's not made for lubrication.

·
Admin
44,781 Posts
You'll be sorry. Vegetable oils will turn gummy, not to mention they can start growing undesirable things on your trains. :D

One of many quotes on the topic.

Vegetable oils in their natural form lack sufficient oxidative stability for lubricant use. Low oxidative stability means, if untreated, the oil will oxidize rather quickly during use, becoming thick and polymerizing to a plastic-like consistency.

There are ways to chemically treat vegetable oils for better stability, but unless you're manufacturing lubricants, that's probably not going to happen here.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
nice joke, while yes I know specific oils like that exist I'm gonna do this experiment anyway because why not, I'm gonna use a junked scout anyway so nothing of value just a simple 246 with a crummy motor
Well, you asked for a recommendation, you got one, but you are going to do it your way anyway......so why did you bother to ask.....? o_O

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I'll have the oil and vinaigrette on my locomotive please...

Reactions: Old_Hobo

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
sure, go ahead and use a vegetable oil, maybe sunflower or sassafrass ??
you said the loco is junk anyways, may as well finish it off, lol

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
I'm curious what "test" means? do you mean to test various oils to see if the loco will run with them applied. I imagine the answer will, at least initially, be "yes" to just about any liquid you use. What are you going to test for (friction reduction, wear reduction, durability (how long it last until you need to re-lub), how easy it is to apply? How do you plan to measure what you test for. And how will you remove one oil (say vegetable oil), before you then apply another (fish oil?)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yes, fresh ground please.

·
Registered
595 Posts
SORT OF ON THE SUBJECT

WESSON OIL/SALAD OIL = NO CASTOR OIL= MAYBE BUT BE CAUTIOUS
There maybe one "vegetable" based oil that might work. Castor Oil which is processed from the Castor Bean. The seeds of the Castor Bean contain Ricin which is very poisonous. Just a few seeds can kill. Castor Oil is a great lubricant. But has it's downfalls as well. As per GRJ
Vegetable oils in their natural form lack sufficient oxidative stability for lubricant use. Low oxidative stability means, if untreated, the oil will oxidize rather quickly during use, becoming thick and polymerizing to a plastic-like consistency.

See the links below just to become informed about processed Castor Oil

CASTOR OIL DEFINED
Castor Motor Oil: The Most Prolific Oil in History! | FYDB (fixyourdirtbike.com)

CASTOR OIL THE EARLY YEARS
Racing through time and red dust | Farm Weekly | Western Australia

CASTOR OIL & MENTHANOL
Castor Oil - HydroRacer.Net Forums

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Vegetable oil and the like are for salads not locomotives. Plus it's not a lubricants which is why oil is used on locomotives in the first place. Bad idea Havoc filmsYT. I can only imagine the mess you are in for once that vegetable oil starts cooking in your Scout and becomes a gummy mess from the heat. I have no idea what it is you are trying to prove anyway.

Kenny

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
We're oil in this together.
Lettuce see if this works or not . . .

·
Registered
639 Posts
You guys! The original inquiry sounds innocent enough. As long as he is OK with the eventual results. I use Super Lube or similar. Granted, I am between layouts but that is what I used or will use. I need lubricants in my service occasionally.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Well, he asked for a recommendation, the overwhelming response was, DON'T DO IT. Then he comes back and says he's going to do it anyway.

At that point the door was open.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts