Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T-Man said post some photos and ask questions in my intro thread, so here I go.

This is my dad's old Lionell set from the fifties. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet as I don't have the track or transformer yet.(Still in the folks' attic somewhere.)
Is there anything I need to do to the loco before I try it out? (Other than clean it up.) It has been idle for many years. The last time I saw this set before yesterday was back in the early seventies.
So, what is the history? How can I tell exactly how old it is. And the most important question..........where do I get more track??:) It is 3 rail track if I remember right.

Anyways, here it is.....On top of an HO set...A few of the cars are going to need some repair.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It looks like your SL-SF box car sat in the sun too long :(

Anyways, you are going to want to lightly oil moving parts like the axles and such, along with greasing the gears on the locomotive...

Your locomotive (an therefore set) was produced back in 1958: http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=249

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the box car will need some re-forming done to it, and the caboose has a chip I will have to replace.
They have been sitting in the attic at my folks' house for quite a while.

Thanks for the info!!

Jody

·
Yard Master & Research
10,637 Posts
Jody, Your Dad took very good care of it. I would print the page out B&M gave you as a reference since it has a set that sold. The set is very clean with no rust spots. The engine looks fantastic, normally the plastic boilers got chipped at from use. Do you have the box?
Even though the Scout was very common the condition looks above average.
Track is still sold at Lionel dealers or ebay you may want to view thier websites. If your track is clean you may want to buy new instead of used.
If you remove the shells, clean with a soft brush and soap with water. Easy on the painted surfaces.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,892 Posts
And also remember that there is True O gauge track and O/27 gauge track which is a little smaller then the true O gauge track.

E bay all ways have track, look for LOTS to bid on.
But be care full you don't buy a bunch of rusty tracks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, something to keep in mind.
The tag on the bottom of the locomotive does say O/27.
I probably won't do a whole lot with this train. (Yeah, right!:rolleyes:) I'm definately going to give it a good cleaning and oiling before it's ready to roll.

With Christmas less than three months away, I think I know where it's going.

Jody

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,892 Posts
O/27 track is a little smaller but you can use it with O track but you would have to shim it up where the two meet.
O gauge track is 11/16" high and o/27 is 7/16" high.
Most sellers list track as O or o/27. Some don't really know what there selling.:D

Curves in O-27 gauge are tighter than in O gauge. That means that some of the very longest O gauge cars and locos are too long to turn the tight corners of a O-27 gauge layout. All O-27 gauge cars and locomotives will work on O gauge track.

If your planning on running some thing like a big heavyweight passenger cars (long cars they are) you would be best planning your layout with o-72 curves from the get go. But with the bigger curve you need more room to fit it on your layout.
You do know curves come in different sizes right?
Some trains are too big to run on 0-27.
The train you have will run on o/27 fine.
You can get switches in different sizes too. So watch the description to what your buying.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great information Ed.

I'm starting to figure out this stuff slowly but surely.
The different numbers I have seen have thrown me a little, but it's begining to make sense.

So, O-31 and O-72 curves are larger curves than the standard O-27's?

Jody

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
TulsaFlyer...you might check out ebay for used, vintage track. Enter "lionel train o gauge track" and you'll see several listings that may be cheaper than new stuff. Also, I've found that the less specific you are with your search entry, the wider range of stuff you get to look at: a bunch of track, for example, may have only been listed as "Lionel Train". So, if you enter "Lionel train" or "train track", you may get a wider selection. You may also find a wide selection of additional cars and accessories. Watch the gauge closely, though---even if you specify O gauge, you'll still get some entries that aren't. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing the pics---it's a beautiful outfit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even more great information!!

Thanks guys!!

The manual is just what I needed.

I have been watching a few ebay auctions lately just to gauge the cost of some the things I'll be on the look out for when the time comes.

I've bought a couple of train sets on ebay over the past few months. The one I'm working with right now is an N scale Bachmann from 1969 with an all metal locomotive. I paid 22 bucks for it with shipping. But the larger scale is what I'm more interested in.

So when the N scale layout is nearly done, I'm going to go crazy with the O scale!! I've already started buying some buildings for it.

Jody

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,892 Posts
TulsaFlyer...you might check out ebay for used, vintage track. Enter "lionel train o gauge track" and you'll see several listings that may be cheaper than new stuff. Also, I've found that the less specific you are with your search entry, the wider range of stuff you get to look at: a bunch of track, for example, may have only been listed as "Lionel Train". So, if you enter "Lionel train" or "train track", you may get a wider selection. You may also find a wide selection of additional cars and accessories. Watch the gauge closely, though---even if you specify O gauge, you'll still get some entries that aren't. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing the pics---it's a beautiful outfit.

Also try Lionel track lot.
Also I shouldn't say,,,lol,,,,spell Lionil and see what happens you wouldn't believe some of the deals I picked up.
When they spell it wrong it won't show up in the general catagorie of trains and hardly no one sees that their track or whatever is for sale.:laugh:
Am I stealing it? yes I used to message the seller and I would sometimes get a nasty response back so,,,yes I steal them now!:D
Use your imagination for different spelling of words for whatever your looking for.

You would think some one would show them spell check. lol

I also like new track better. I go to my loco hobby shop. Though I have got a ton of track from other sources. ( I use what I got)
I got a bunch of rusty track I'm am going to incorporate into my rail yard. More realistic. Though I will make sure the top is clean.
A friend had a layout that was built with all rusty track some he found while dumpster diving peoples trash of the free get rid of your junk day. But all the top rails were cleaned and he weathered the center rail the 2 outside rails were natural rust. But you have to make sure that where your electric connections are it's clean. That with homemade timber trestles he had a nice RR.
I have also found some Lionel from the junk while walking the dog. LOL if I could train him to sniff out Lionel from the piles of other peoples throw a way's.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure!:D

And if your going to do it right get the best track you can afford.
And O/72 curves and switches. That way you will be set up for the Big Boy's stuff. Google the many different types of track you can get.

Heres one link for you. http://www.legacystation.com/LionelFasTrack.htm

There's other ways you can go with track constructing your RR.

By the way it takes 16 O/72 curves to complete a curve with measures 72" across.
Even under the tree you could run a big train if you ever get one.
I payed 90 cents a piece for my O/72 curved tubular track. But I bought a bunch. My local hobby shop had 36" straight pieces that got for a real good price along with the curves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts