Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have seen numerous posts about Lionel's Old Timer 4-4-0, mainly concerning it's ability to barely haul it's own Tender around, much less the couple of coaches it comes with....

Well, I just scored one, lubed it up, loaded it up with a train (was just sitting on the mainline engineless), and, figured I would just start lopping off cars until it moved...…

Well, imagine my surprise when it just walked away with the whole lot (13 cars), no problem at all.....

What's that all about....

P

·
0 Posts
Good news for you, but check to see if one of the freight cars is powered. :D

C

·
0 Posts
I had one made in the late 80s or early 90s and it was a pretty good puller. It could easily pull the 3 lighted coaches it came with up a 5% grade. I don't know how it would do pulling post war cars that weren't very free rolling.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is quite an old one, plastic body, and no traction tires....:eek:

I tried some assorted Postwar cars (and, yes they don't roll very easily), and, it just does 9 with a light caboose on the end, definitely a bit of constant wheelspin, but, it goes...…

It does run fairly slowly, but, when I get it running at a speed I like, there are a couple of spots on the layout where it sometimes stalls out, so, I may try one of my geared DC motors in it, looks like a fairly easy swap...…..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts