Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I unpacked my Athearn locomotives after storage since 1977. Removing and reinstalling the shells after lubrication it sounds like the flywheels rub on the inside of the shell. They run fine with the shell removed. Three of them. A shop successfully adjusted the SW1500. But a GP35 and SD45 do it also. Those were maintenanced at the shop as well. The 35 had to have the motor mount replaced. Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Can you see any spots on the shell that have wear from rubbing? I've had a few that the shell vibrates and make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you see any spots on the shell that have wear from rubbing? I've had a few that the shell vibrates and make a lot of noise.
I can’t but I immediately stop running them after a few seconds. I notice a difference when I remove the shell and flex the motor and drive shaft assembly and remount it. The very edge of one flywheel appears to have been rubbing.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have been slowly adding dcc to my old blue box warbonnet fleet and ran into noise issues as well. What it primarily was for me is the drive lines aren’t exactly quiet. The locomotives work good but are nothing like a newer style like a Proto 2000 or something like that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been slowly adding dcc to my old blue box warbonnet fleet and ran into noise issues as well. What it primarily was for me is the drive lines aren’t exactly quiet. The locomotives work good but are nothing like a newer style like a Proto 2000 or something like that
Totally true. I have a Genesis FP7A & B set and there’s absolutely no comparison. But my old blue box models run and I just need to solve the drive train alignment problem under the shells. That cause the flywheels to rub.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I remotored some of my Athearns with the Helix Humper motors by Alliance Locomotive. Sadly, they are no longer open.
Where are the fly wheel rubbing? I have not had that issue when replacing the old dried out motor mounts with new ones, or even the new screw in type. You can quiten the motor abit by lightly oiling the armature and cutting the the brush spring by 1/3 to 1/2. reduced brush pressure means a freer spinning motor as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remotored some of my Athearns with the Helix Humper motors by Alliance Locomotive. Sadly, they are no longer open.
Where are the fly wheel rubbing? I have not had that issue when replacing the old dried out motor mounts with new ones, or even the new screw in type. You can quiten the motor abit by lightly oiling the armature and cutting the the brush spring by 1/3 to 1/2. reduced brush pressure means a freer spinning motor as well.
Thank you for the response. I’m learning a lot since arriving back in this world. Yes, one of the rubbing shells did get a rubber motor mount installed. I want asset if a screw in type- thank you. I have some new shells arriving I purchased from a lot. I’ll be experimenting hoping to find a solution. I’ve been trying to limit my investment in these old units.

·
Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Good plan….I limit my investment in old units by investing in new units….my frustrations are very few….. 😁

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Learning is half the fun. Youcan even kit bash with extra shells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts