Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have converted 4 Athern Blue Box F units so far with NCE decoders. When compared to my new factory installed LokSound F units and my Athern SoundTrax GP40, the slow start performance in my converted loco's does not seem to be there. Out of 100 tick marks, they wont start rolling till I hit 20 when alone, and 36 to 40 when pulling a load. Where as my other factory installed units start rolling in the first 4 tick marks.

I have tried tuning the decoders some, such as the starting voltage. To where they can start off as low as 12 tick marks, but there is no slow movement. Its almost instant speed. Other settings include the burst voltage and something called kick start as shown in JMRI.

I have pulled the loco's apart and cleaned & lubed the gears and drive train system. As well as cleaned the wheels and contacts.

I am now trying to consider if my problem is the decoder is cheap, or if the motor needs to be updated to a modern motor.

Ideas?

John

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Make sure the momentum is turned off on CV's 3 and 4. Then set up your start, mid-range, and top speed CV's. It could be that the momentum is interfering with the low speed performance. I've had that happen before. Once you have the the locomotive running as you want it, then reset the momentum CV's as you desire.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been so long since I went thru tuning these loco's, let alone running any of my loco's, that I dont remember. I will go thru that again and try tuning one more time. For some reason I believe its beyond tuning and either a crappy decoder or old motor.

I am also right now getting ready to replace the wiring in the layout making sure that the number of possible issues is as reduced as much as possible.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts