Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some of the old trains from 1850-1900. the shay--Climax--Heisler I don't know if I can afford them but would like to know where to buy them.
AL

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I very nearly built a mining railroad using Shay locomotives set in the UP of Michigan in the 20's. It was that or a European railroad, and the Europeans won that one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just love the way the trains were made in that time. I looked up prices and a Climax from Bachmann is $1500.
I may find something on e-bay but is my dreams. I like the steam loco's of the early 1850-1860. the Climax--Shay
and the Heisler, all very different loco's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just love the way the trains were made in that time. I looked up prices and a Climax from Bachmann is $1500.
I may find something on e-bay but is my dreams. I like the steam loco's of the early 1850-1860. the Climax--Shay
and the Heisler, all very different loco's.
I've seen plenty of logging locos from multiple brands on eBay starting at 85-450 bucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the climax but I left out, my setup is DC and it will not run good with other loco on same setup. I have had a DCC
train and it would not run like DC it runs slow for me.
AL

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you got it and swapped a decent decoder into it and had someone set the dc settings it would run decent but I get the thought of it being more money than needed. I would look into eBay for brass. There was one manufacturer that made the old shay locos with a cordless motor that may be the perfect fit for your application. I believe it was west side. I wouldn’t suggest mdc because I have one that’s just noisy enough to wake the deceased. That one has a sagami motor in it but has all Spur cut gears so it’s loud from the gearing

·
Registered
449 Posts
This seems to be the going rate on eBay for a cordless brass shay loco. There is also a bachmann spectrum 80 ton 3 truck on there for $330 right now. eBay is going to be your best bet other than a train show which isn’t going on with the corona. Hope this helps you

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jscullians you are right about money I don't have $350 to put into loco. I know my mind may not be the same as yours
but I still will look at the old Locos even when I can't aford them. I will still look at e-bay but I have had 1 bad time on e-bay so will be very careful about dealing with them again. I lost a few dollars but seller took it back. I'm 78 years old and may not get what I want but life has been very good to me.The lord has took care of me very well.
I will keep looking------AL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Roundhouse built a Climax but the pistons and drive rods were covered up, looked like a really ugly diesel. It can be got on ebay for a more reasonable price. They also have a shay kit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I can understand being budget friendly. I started getting into brass locomotives and that will put a hurting on your wallet. Are you only wanting to have shay or climax locomotives or are you willing to do a smaller rod driven steamer? If so the bachmann 2-6-0 may be a good candidate or maybe look into a rivarossi heisler loco. The rivarossi locos may be expensive though. I’ve only seen them as new old stock

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found some CLIMAX DCC READY loco's at TRAINWORLD at $199, the only problem no DC loco's. I have tryed a DCC but it wouldn't run same as DC. It was slower so you could only run 1 train at a time.
AL

·
Registered
357 Posts
the bachmann spectrums off ebay seem to be good value, heislers and 2-6-0 locos sometimes wind up on there, occasionally in brass , seem to start around 300 or so .. a half dozen locos will pull some 22 foot ore cars from tichy, or short flats ...caboose isn't neccesary , most trains were short because of the terrain ..
climax.weathered.jpg

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have tryed a DCC but it wouldn't run same as DC. It was slower so you could only run 1 train at a time.
If that was true then there was something wrong with the DCC setup you tried. Any given loco on DCC will run at exactly the same speed as DC. Did you compare the SAME loco, or are you trying to compare the speeds of two entirely different locos? Because logging trains like the Shays and Climaxes are generally geared down to intentionally run slower than a standard steam loco, matching the slow speeds of the prototypes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it’s dcc ready then it’s a dc loco without a decoder. Most dcc decoders have the option to use dc as well you just have to turn on the option in the programming. I use jmri so I don’t know the cv number

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wonder if the dcc system he was using was a small system like a beginner nce or digitrax or even a bachmann ez command. I used the beginner nce system at the club I used to belong to and it wouldn’t run two sound equipped locos at the same time because it was way under powered. My dcc system lets me run a pair of 2-10-4s double headed with a 4-6-4 dragging a 14 car passenger train and also lets me run my switching job all at the same time. If I had another operator it would keep letting me run more too but 3 at once is more than enough. I have the digitrax empire builder set up with the db150. Runs my 10x16 layout good

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If that was true then there was something wrong with the DCC setup you tried. Any given loco on DCC will run at exactly the same speed as DC. Did you compare the SAME loco, or are you trying to compare the speeds of two entirely different locos? Because logging trains like the Shays and Climaxes are generally geared down to intentionally run slower than a standard steam loco, matching the slow speeds of the prototypes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NO--I had a new loco that was dcc ready new, I couldn't run it on DC layout it ran slow wanted more power than a DC
train. I might have to try another loco DCC ready without DCC. I think maybe buy another train DCC ready and see if I get another result . You are not the only one who tells me this. I will get a DCC ready 4-4-0 that I want but can't find one
DC. TRAINWORLD has a 4-4-O for $145 and DCC for $195 I belive . THANKS i WILL TRY AGAIN

1 - 20 of 38 Posts