Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If that was true then there was something wrong with the DCC setup you tried. Any given loco on DCC will run at exactly the same speed as DC. Did you compare the SAME loco, or are you trying to compare the speeds of two entirely different locos? Because logging trains like the Shays and Climaxes are generally geared down to intentionally run slower than a standard steam loco, matching the slow speeds of the prototypes.
I was not running a logging train you are talking about but a 2-6-0 with a DC controller if that makes a difference.
AL

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a proto 2000 fa one time that acted the same way. I still have that locomotive maybe I’ll dissect it and see if I can get to the bottom of why that can happen. I got that when I was about 13 or 14. There is more than likely resistance in one of the wires that feed the motor

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I was not running a logging train you are talking about but a 2-6-0 with a DC controller if that makes a difference.
AL
Yeah you should see exactly the same speed from a 2-6-0 under both types of power. I'm getting a small collection of steamers built up, including a Tyco 4-4-0 from the 70's that I rewired for DCC. No noticeable difference in speed, it runs like a bat out of hell under both systems. However as mentioned above, it could very well be how much power your DCC system is able to put into the tracks. My system is pumping around 4.5amps, and even that old loco only pulls about 1amp by itself.

Oh, I had another thought... Have you compared the voltage output of both systems? For example DC power packs from the 70's might put 18v on the rails at full speed, while a lot of newer DCC systems are limited to 14v or even 12v, and that would make a huge difference in the top speed of your loco.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah you should see exactly the same speed from a 2-6-0 under both types of power. I'm getting a small collection of steamers built up, including a Tyco 4-4-0 from the 70's that I rewired for DCC. No noticeable difference in speed, it runs like a bat out of hell under both systems. However as mentioned above, it could very well be how much power your DCC system is able to put into the tracks. My system is pumping around 4.5amps, and even that old loco only pulls about 1amp by itself.

Oh, I had another thought... Have you compared the voltage output of both systems? For example DC power packs from the 70's might put 18v on the rails at full speed, while a lot of newer DCC systems are limited to 14v or even 12v, and that would make a huge difference in the top speed of your loco.
I don't have a DCC controller the one I use is DC.----AL

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You said back in post #14 that you tried a DCC system and the train ran slower. And I still don't understand what you meant about only being able to run one train at a time since the entire point of DCC systems is that they allow you to run multiple trains on the same track at the same time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't write that right, the train was Dcc ready running on DC layout
I'M SORRY FOR NOT GETING THAT RIGHT
AL

·
Registered
367 Posts
What were the models you were running? Older open frame motors were a three pole a lot of times which made them run way over scale speed. Rivarossi was really good at making their locomotives the race cars of the model world which would make a big difference compared to a modern locomotive that’s going to run very smoothly and nowhere near as fast

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I bought a 4-4-0 #119 on e-bay sat. at a good price, it is a old model with DC only. That the seller is in perfect
cond. I will get it by fri the 31st. I have been looking for one to use on layout with 1850 pass cars. We will wait to we get it to check condition I've bought one a few weeks ago that was not as I was told so we wait!
AL

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yeah you really have to look closely at the provided pictures and ask the seller if you have any questions. It also helps to look at other pictures on google so you can compare what's for sale to make sure there aren't any missing pieces. Of course you will never know how the loco runs until you get it, but I feel that if the model has obvious damage (especially if the seller doesn't point it out), then it probably wasn't well taken care of and I will wait for something else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I found a 4-4-0 on e-bay for $60. It is dc only as it is a older loco that looks in very good shape, before I bought I asked the seller if it was DC only. He said it was DC so I bought it, shipping only took 3 days I got it today.
At first the loco wouldn't run until i raised the speed control it started running at about 50-60 but had to raise the elect to get it that fast. My other loco's run very good at 40-50 this loco was only starting to go, the more I run it the better it runs
I had to change the inside track so I could run it with the other trains at same time. the inside track is to the train station
and passengers. That is what I wanted anyway it pulls 2 pass cars easly. I will try 3 cars when I go back to the train station shack in the morning.
SO FAR E-BAY HAS BEEN GOOD TO ME---AL

·
Registered
120 Posts
technically a DCC enabled system will run slower, than a DC on the same DC track ,the decoder loses 1.4 volts through the bridge rectifier ...
a DCC ready system is no different than a DC system and will NOT lose any power, the difference -may- be in the locomotives themselves

·
Registered
367 Posts
If it takes that kind of voltage to get it moving I would tear it apart and service it. That may be the difference between a burned up motor and one that will live another 10 or 15 years. Just a thought

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The 4-4-0 #119 is dc only it is not a new loco. It is a bachmann 4-4-0 I only know what the he said it is a ventage loco
and that is all I know about age. The 4 wheels up front will not stay on track so I removed them and it stays on track good,no problems. The tender has the pickup and motor, It has a drive shaft between tender and loco.I think I will buy another in case that one breaks or gets lost. It is about 1" long
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP-----AL

21 - 38 of 38 Posts