Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would I look to find local maps of the old RR tracks? the line I live on is an old PRR line is what I was told, and its now owned by NS....I know of a few old RR areas that have since had the rails removed and wanna see where they ran and why(like what was their that isnt now)..Im gonna hit google pretty hard and see what I can find, but for some reason haha everone else has better luck with this kinda stuff....Thanks

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
I know of a few old RR areas that have since had the rails removed and wanna see where they ran and why(like what was their that isnt now)..
Use Google sat view. I've done the same thing where I live. I know of a RR bridge that goes over the interstate and the tracks have been removed at least 20+ years (the bridge is still there though), if I zoom onto the bridge and look at where the tracks went, I can still see the "hump" in the ground and follow it all the way to the existing UP RR yard! :eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HEY!!!! never thought of that! only problem is these rails have been removed for 30+ years....and one set of rails I dont see where it EVER could have went other then where it crosses the main state route(U can see some of the old rails sticking out of a concrete block next to the road where their used to be a bridge thingy for the rr at one time...)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts
Here is a site for the Raritan River RR.

http://www.raritanriver-rr.com/

It has some interesting info on hiking the old historic RRR line. (Raritan River railroad)

It shows some nice pictures of their explorations into the woods in search of the long gone rail beds.
You will have to do your own searching, I spent quite a few hours going over their site. Interesting to me because I am Jersey bred.:D
You might find their adventures interesting too, though I know all the places that they talk about.

All depends where you are, there are a lot of ancient RR road beds I spot riding rt 80 through Pa.
They are all over, most of the rail is gone and big old trees have grow but you can still see the line that the RR made going up down or around the mountains.:thumbsup:. If you know what to look for.

Do some research where ever you are I am sure there are some close to you.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts
Scroll down in Tom's site to field trips.

Sometimes it is hard to see where the lines went through.
Just a couple of pictures from his site,
check out
http://www.raritanriver-rr.com/
for more.

Can you see it?:D
image024.jpg

image026.jpg

image027.jpg
It is there, all the rail is gone but the old ties are still living in the dirt.:D:thumbsup:
image028.jpg

Sometimes you can pick out where the switches once sat and sidings too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Eaton, OH....im on the one main line from Cincinatti, OH to Richmond, IN(I think it heads to indy from their)Or atleast I think this line runs from cincy to richmond....It could branch off down towards cincy because CSX has a line south of me that runs south of us and then cuts back to indy..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,607 Posts
The easiest way is google bike paths. A good site will give some history. WIth the rails gone the cyclists are there. One is Rails to Trails.

Also I have seen antique RR wall maps by company.

One ebay example

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts