Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are guys using to capture onboard video? If like something I can mount to the locomotive or to the caboose to capture on board video. Preferably battery powered and real time wireless transmission to the phone. I imagine someone had come up with a track powered version, but I'm using DC for now, although I have some loco genie so those might work with it (constant voltage).

Didn't have to be super fancy, cost is a factor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got a used GoPro Session. It's a cube about 1" square. There are tons of cheap knock-off's and spy-cams on Amazon. I went with the more expensive GoPro just for the app/connectivity. Plus it's water proof and usable for other things.

·
Admin
43,840 Posts
I use the Mobius ActionCam, works great and had no problem with 1080P recording. It also is flat so I can perch it on the cab of the engine for the engineer's view or on a freight car of caboose to see more of the train in the picture. Here's a video using it at the NJ-HR club a few years back.

<iframe width="1164" height="655" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a used GoPro Session. It's a cube about 1" square. There are tons of cheap knock-off's and spy-cams on Amazon. I went with the more expensive GoPro just for the app/connectivity. Plus it's water proof and usable for other things.
The fact there are so many is part of the problem. Searching for a specific needle in a stack of needles. I really want one that will steam to my phone.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the Mobius ActionCam, works great and had no problem with 1080P recording. It also is flat so I can perch it on the cab of the engine for the engineer's view or on a freight car of caboose to see more of the train in the picture. Here's a video using it at the NJ-HR club a few years back.
I took a look at that, looks like it records to sd card and does not steam in any way?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I use this. It can record right side up or upside down. Has great audio pickup, records to an on board chip and projects a video image to an app on my smart phone so I can see what I'm recording plus have control of the cam for record and stop. I made the white support box and have it stuck to the flat car with duct tape. This can be pushed ahead of a loco or pulled along in a train. If I put it in a train I'll usually put a gondola or flat car ahead of it so as not to block the view.
The video clip below the picture is an example of the video this can shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts