Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On30 is by far the most popular Narrow Gauge Scale in the USA due to the easy availability and low cost of it compared to other scales. Now while most Narrow Gaugers go prototypical, I tend to do other, weirder things.

Now On30 is O scale in Narrow Gauge so what has stopped people from making a toy like layout? One could use more modern Lionel, Marx, Menards etc and still be technically to scale? For the locos I am not talking about prototype as those Bradford Exchange items are kind of cheap on ebay if you go in on the right time. Now while I am planning on repainting some Bradford Exchange Locos for making a fictional short line I don't think I would mind having a little 4x6 for a fun toy-like layout.

Any thoughts on this premise? Am I committing a sin in the modelling world for even remotely thinking this way? Is this post too much like a bad newspaper article? Find out next post!

C

·
0 Posts
I think your premise is fine and would make a fun layout. It could be as realistic or toy like as you want it to be. Some two rail scale guys are tolerant and other two rail scale guys are less tolerant. I don't think you will get any grief in our MTF O gauge world. If you venture out into the two rail scale world they might consider you a heretic. I don't think they will try to burn you at the stake, but why chance it? :smilie_auslachen:

It's your layout. The only person you have to please is you.

I look forward to seeing this layout come to life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told by a long time Model Railroader = Build it the way you want it, after all there is No wrong way to build a Model Railroad. Enjoy and have fun at it!!!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
at least with ON30 the track is cheap , if you want you can get away with HO track ..
i have a HO layout with one ON30 Porter to check clearances with .. even with sound, lol

·
16,666 Posts
HERESY, I SAY!!! I'M CALLING THE MODEL TRAIN POLICE RIGHT NOW!!!!

Uhh, err ... on the other hand, it is your layout. You're the boss. Anything goes! Have at it! Have fun!

TJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
On30 is by far the most popular Narrow Gauge Scale in the USA due to the easy availability and low cost of it compared to other scales.
Maybe. Maybe not. HOe (or HOn 21/2, or HO9, or whatever) has been around for a long time, there's plenty of ready-made rolling stock, and I've always found it readily available.

Now while most Narrow Gaugers go prototypical, I tend to do other, weirder things.

Now On30 is O scale in Narrow Gauge so what has stopped people from making a toy like layout? One could use more modern Lionel, Marx, Menards etc and still be technically to scale? For the locos I am not talking about prototype as those Bradford Exchange items are kind of cheap on ebay if you go in on the right time. Now while I am planning on repainting some Bradford Exchange Locos for making a fictional short line I don't think I would mind having a little 4x6 for a fun toy-like layout.
I'm not sure how you're defining "toylike layout." If you mean freelance short line, not following any specific prototype, I don't think that's especially unusual, Particularly in 30" gauge.

Any thoughts on this premise? Am I committing a sin in the modelling world for even remotely thinking this way?
I think it's been a long time since lack of prototype fidelity has been considered a criminal act by the modeling community.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts