Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it O scale locos running N track?
i assume so but i am not sure...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The n3 represents 3 foot narrow gauge as opposed to standard gauge track. I have not seen it but I understand there is HO narrow gauge that runs on N scale track.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Actually, I think on30 means 30 inch, or 2.5', also called on2 1/2. I think there is a European on3 for 3'... maybe it's Irish.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The n3 represents 3 foot narrow gauge as opposed to standard gauge track. I have not seen it but I understand there is HO narrow gauge that runs on N scale track.
sounds fun... might try that out

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I didn't mean track, as its just H.O. track....but yes, cars and locos are pricier than H.O.....

·
Registered
890 Posts
If one uses On30 track (HO track with bigger ties to scale to O) then it is a bit more expensive, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I didn't mean track, as its just H.O. track....but yes, cars and locos are pricier than H.O.....
Actually, my experience is a bit different. I jumped into ON30 with both feet and put a bunch on my O layout last year. The track is cheaper but so were most of the locos - I bought several Bachman spectrum On30 locos with DCC and they ran less or no more than small O-Gauge steamers I have. Rolling stock was a bit less, too.

The locos were well made for the most part, and ran well enough - no compaints there. They were all a bit smaller than all but the smallest O-Gauge steamers (no surprise there), had no smoke but shuffing sounds (again, what I expected), but also much lighter than those O-gauge steamers (maybe not a a big surprise, but I did not like that), and mostly plastic bodies and chassis with almost not metal in this (I really didn't like that).

I found lots of brass ON30 locos that cost in $500 to $700 range that were as expensive as the best MTH or Lionel small, scale steamers, but did not buy any of those. Close examination of them on-line convinced me they would not be nearly as good.

Ultimately I gave up on On30 and removed it from the layout, and decided to stick with just O.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Of course you mean On30 is cheaper than O......the O.P. Is in N; On30 will be more expensive than N....:eek:hwell:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts