Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawthorne Village by Bachmann. My son found it for me at a flea market and picked it up for $5.00 with a combine car. Not unusual to see these go for around $100 with the car on ebay.

Dusty thing that would not budge on the track despite encouragement. Put a drop of light oil on each valve gear pivot gave it a nudge and off it went. Silent, smooth and surprising.

Smoke stack is broken off but I'm considering replacement ideas. Gave it a warm water bath without disassembly. That's right a warm water bath. Five bucks, I held it upside down and with a soft brush and a dish detergent washed and rinsed it. Motor and mechanism really didn't get wet. Blew it dry with compressed air and ran it many circuits on the track.

I have another, their Christmas version that I bought to go around the tree at Christmas time. For what they are they really run well.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm amazed how well it runs. Minimum throttle maybe 2% and it begins to crawl. Wish the majority of my HO's did as well.

I had intentions of disassembling and painting it satin black or gray (I'm not much of a Disney Character kind of guy -Not that there is anything wrong with that) but gave up on that idea looking at all the little screws that hold the two major parts together. That and all the bells and whistles that I would have to remove then reinstall changed my mind in a hurry. Besides I'm sorta getting attached to it. :)

Sit's fat on my display compared with the HO's.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice find, Very nice collection you have there!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colorful little critters aren't they. Looks like yours has a car also. Nice organized layout that you have.

I made a smokestack for mine out of brass tubing, it will do until something better comes along.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
When I tried out On30 on my layout I bought a used set on ebay, in about the condition yours appears to be. It is an interesting loco (the train car isn't bad either, and definatley worth the money. Looks nice and will be a fun project - no doubt.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lee and Spence.

I plead guilty to running and enjoying them on the track. As mentioned they are smooth and tractable more so than most of my other HO trains. The combine car is lighted too.

I have another Hawthorne Village Bachmann model as F7. Nicely detailed and smooth but not as smooth as the 0N30's.

Hawthorne Villager offered these in many different styles, from the Disney version to a Confederate flag waving locomotive with varieties in-between. An ebay search reveals most.

I just wish they made one in more traditional steamer style painted black without all the bells and whistles. 1940's Boston and Maine/B&O would have been nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Great find!
I seem to remember reading that some ON30 folks deliberately look for the fantasy and Hawethorne versions of these locos -because they're cheaper- and use them for their repaints and kitbashes. I had one of the Hawethorne Village ON30 combines (International Harvester livery I think) that had come in a junk lot. I sent it to a buddy of mine who was dabbling in ON30 and he thought it was great.

AFAIK, Hawthorne Village stuff is usually identical (besides the paint jobs) to whatever the contemporary "basic" Bachmann version is and the basic Bachmann locos these days are pretty smooth runners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts