Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Really nice, like the handrails and other detail trim. Interesting ditch lights. Can only imagine the cost, presume it's only available in DCC. I'm not going that route, it's just too expensive and complicated.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I love it very good detail but now don't get upset. The first picture in the second set. The strobe light mount is crooked.
Great engine. :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The detail is incredible. Because of that, I bet the price is too!!:eek: But it is beautiful to behold.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They do make these in DC or what is also know as DCC ready. Meaning they dont have decoder but a socket is available for a DCC decoder to be plugged in. Depends on what an individual considers expensive. I have a DCC ready Athearn SD70ACE Heritage Western Pacific that was purchased brand new for $80 and I then bought a digitrax decoder for $26.(you can see them on my profile page) The rest of heritage fleet is MTH dcc with sound and they range in price from $150 (used)-$225 (brand new on ebay). Still alot cheaper than MSRP. My opinion is DCC is cheaper than DC because of with DC all of the power districts and controllers required for multiple independent loco operation.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm watching a DCC ready UP SD70ace, we'll see how it goes. I've never spent a lot on trains, but this one is really nice. I'm wondering if I can electrify the ditch lights. I have a couple of Bachmann leds that just might match.
I'm getting better at matching UP colors. Did good on the grey, but the yellow is just impossible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm watching a DCC ready UP SD70ace, we'll see how it goes. I've never spent a lot on trains, but this one is really nice. I'm wondering if I can electrify the ditch lights. I have a couple of Bachmann leds that just might match.
I'm getting better at matching UP colors. Did good on the grey, but the yellow is just impossible.
Who's the manufacturer? All the ones I've seen (I dont know about all in general) HO scale SD70ace's have operating ditch lights (meaning they at least light up) My MTH's also have the flashing when the horn is sounded........

·
Registered
417 Posts
It was an Athearn Genesis, DCC ready. The detail items were in zip lock bags, so I wasn't sure if the ditch lites were wired. It went for $80 plus shipping, not bad. I was tempted, but have to control myself, have been shopping recently.....
I'll watch for a parts one, didn't like the plastic handrails anyway....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts