Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Found it on the first site. There's a lot of Lionel stuff on here, folks, mostly cars and acessories, but also engines, track, and some other non-Lionel stuff. Only 4 items in my scale, but that's to be expected. If you want to check it out, go to the lower address in her post and register---when you get to the credit card page, you can click "Skip this step" and I'd recommend you do until you know if you want to play or not. Once you are registered, go to the first of the addresses listed on her post and you can go through the whole list, item by item. Hope you find something you like!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Reckers for the comments. The link to our website (Superior Auction) goes directly to our homepage...I'll see if I can fix that! The Proxibid link will bring you directly to the listing and photos, as you noticed. Happy New Year! Nellie

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
What are we registering for?
To see the pictures?
Are there pictures?:cool:

You got me curious, but registering just to see what you got?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ed,

I think you can go on the site without registering, just to look at the stuff. There are pics. I went ahead and registered, initially, without doing the credit card part---you can leave that blank.

To answer with more detail: I'm going to tell you what my impression is, and please assume I have some misconceptions, okay? Let's suppose you're a person in Georgia who runs an antique/odds and ends/guns and ammo shop in a small town. You bought someone's train collection and want to reach more buyers than you can in Littletown, GA. So, you register as an auctioner with Proxibid and pay them a fee to handle your auction of that collection---you reach a world-wide set of bidders. You send photos, set a date and time for the auction to start, and Proxi handles it, along with prebidding, proxibidding, and so on.

Now, Ed the potential customer reads the notice Nellie posted and says, "Hmmm..." He goes and looks at the site. If he's interested, he registers as a bidder----no charge, so far. If he decides he wants to play, he then registers again for that particular auction (there are a lot of them listed). At that point, the company that actually owns the stuff may require a credit card be registered so they don't get sandbagged by fakes. Again, no charge, so far. So, now Ed participates and wins a Lionel engine for $20. Ed pays:
1. the $20, 2. a fee the owner charges to finance the auction, and 3. shipping costs.
I checked out one auction and the auction fee was 17%, or 17 cents on the dollar for the winning bid. Ed pays $20 + $3.40, or $23.40 plus shipping. I called the owner at the one I was interested in to ask about shipping, the big problem with Ebay. His answer was that he charged the actual shipping cost (postage or UPS), plus the cost of a flat-rate P.O. box or UPS box and maybe some bubble wrap. "It usually comes to maybe $3 to $5 extra", he said.

So....that's everything I know, and again, assume I got part of it wrong. If you're seriously interested, ask questions, etc. I'm going to possibly do a different auction, so I registered and will let you know how it went, if I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Reckers for your comments....AND you DID get most of it right! Ed's right that you can only "look" now, but the actual bidding starts this coming Tuesday, January 5th and ends on January 19th. We always try to get our online auctions up at least a few days prior to the actual start to give people more time for viewing. It was good to point out the "Buyer's Fees" that typically accompany an auction, especially an online auction. In this case, it is a total of 12.5% so you would want to take that into consideration when bidding.

This is a one-owner collection from Central Wisconsin and this represents only about a third of what he has collected. More to come hopefully!

You may remember the Art Paris train auctions that we did a couple of years ago in the Marinette/Menominee area. That collection was a lot of older Lionels and took us four live auctions to get it all sold! This collection isn't that large, but almost everything in it is in mint condition.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Heck reckers I clicked on the link and can view it all.
No registering at all........... yet.

Has a lot of nice stuff I am going to check it out further.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Big Ed,
Look the site over well, because they handle multiple auctions at once. As Nellie pointed out and you noticed, bidding has not opened, yet, on that specific auction. However, I just put in a couple of bids on some AF stuff on a separate auction that is open. When you first go into the proxy site, type in Lionel or train...something like that...and let it search out all of the auctions for you instead of just the one. Thanks, Nellie!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I would imagine that a lot of items are going to go for a good buck.
I didn't look but is shipping price included with the pictures when you register?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yes on the good price, as in high. I bid on several locomotives this morning and the autobid kept right on topping my offers. I have two bids in right now where I'm on top (out of 5 or 6), but expect them to be topped. Nellie, how long do the auctions last?
To answer your question about the shipping price, "no" is the answer. You can call the seller and ask, though, assuming they are at the phone on New Years Day. I talked to one owner and to a rep from Proxi; Proxi lady said sellers are "discouraged" from gouging on shipping and to use true shipping costs. The seller I spoke to said he charged Postal rates or UPS rates, perhaps another dollar for bubble wrap. Said he used PO flat rate boxes and that was the charge, except for bubble wrap. After a lot of Ebay purchase, I was pretty leery of the open-ended shipping rates, but the guy I spoke to seemed pretty straight-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Ed, I'm sorry but we don't list the shipping costs. However, we do try to ship as economically as possible, while still ensuring the merchandise arrives safely. We can also estimate the shipping cost of something specific if you would like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello again....I just noticed your post, Reckers. The model train auction that we have up on Proxibid lasts 14 days - from Tuesday January 5th to January 19th. As far as shipping, we also use the flat rate boxes as much as possible, and do not charge for handling or packing materials. There are times, however, when we need to use a "Pack & Ship" service. The bottom line for us is that we try to be as equitable as possible, as we want all of our bidders back for future auctions! We also recommend that the buyer pays the small amount charged for insurance....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts