Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm making great progress with my COVID-19 quasi self-isolation. So much so that I have almost run out of ballast :).

Can my Canadian colleagues recommend a good online site for me to order? Specifically, I need Woodlands Scenic ballast and Walthers kits.

I would prefer a Canadian site - easier, no borders and it will appeal to my sense of patriotism :) I don't mind paying more to use a Canadian site. I have fond memories of George's Trains (Toronto, though now in a suburb) - how is their online service?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I did a phone order with George's trains, when the True Line Trains Pt. St Charles cabooses came out, and the service was top notch. Also ordered from Credit Valley (www.cvrco.com) in Mississauga, and their service was great as well.....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I order a lot directly from Walthers, but have a history with modeltrainstuff (probably THE #1 site on the www), internettrains, trainworld, caboose hobbies, traintrack.net, factorydirecttrains, and others. They all give/gave excellent service.

I hope you won't mind be offering some advice. I have twice attempted to use Walthers ballast, and it has yet to be a salutary experience. It is crushed walnut shells. It floats and moves around. It will look terrible when you go to wet and then to glue it to fix it in place. I would very strongly advise you to instead use crushed rock, real stuff. Find a beach, go to the big box do-it-yourself stores and look for sandbox or construction sand, or find a gravel pit that sells fine crush and sift it. Or, Arizona Rock & Mineral sells nice scale ballast by the bag. Stay away from the Walthers stuff.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I did one order from factory direct trains, and then 2 curbside pickups from my local shop which also has an online presence (star hobby). Then model train stuff which I often use is shipping according to the website but with a lag. Train world I'm not sure of... then a place called toy train heaven sends me endless email flyers appears open. I believe they are really Bowser or affiliated with them. None of these folks are in Canada though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, and thanks for the tip about the ballast. I've been using Woodlands, though, not Walthers.

Mike

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
He's referring to Woodland Scenics ballast. I've been using it for years, and I can guarantee one thing: if it floats on you, it's because you didn't wet it enough. Once in a while I have to patch a spot if I squeeze the pipette too hard and squirt the alcohol or adhesive rather than dribbling it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if George's Trains is open? I can't get through on the phone and their Facebook page has not been updated since early April.

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

A quick update: I ordered from Credit Valley; all went very well and I'm very happy. I ordered four pieces and they had all four in stock. They shipped the next day.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts