Model Train Forum banner

Online Visual Guide to Train Designs and Eras?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Lester Perry 
#1 ·
Greetings -

Is there an online guide anyplace, with pictures, that shows basic styles of freight/passenger cars and engines and identifies the eras that they were in use? Not necessarily charting the evolution of every corporate logo design, but more along the lines of basic designs of cars. I'm trying to make sure the cars I'm using are primarily from the same era.

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
So, essentially you are modeling the transition era of the railroads from steam to diesel. I am modeling the Nickel Plate Road, the last bastion of big steam power. My era is from pre-WW1 to the 1960's. That give me much leeway in what I can run and still be somewhat authentic. I can still run steam locomotion next to early Geeps, F's and E's. The look is impressive to say the least. I can run heavyweight passenger cars next to streamliners. Setting a layout as such allows so much more freedom in the cars and engines you can use and still be somewhat close to actual history.

Here is a link that MAY help, http://nkphts.org/links.html

Bob

#6 ·
Thanks both for your replies. Lester, this is the kind of detail I'm looking for.

Did the lack of walkways coincide with the waffle doors in the mid 60s?

Also, any general guidelines like these for tank cars, gondolas, hoppers, etc. would be appreciated.

I can live with the wrong dates on the cars if I need a magnifying glass to see them! ;)

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks both for your replies. Lester, this is the kind of detail I'm looking for.

Did the lack of walkways coincide with the waffle doors in the mid 60s?

Also, any general guidelines like these for tank cars, gondolas, hoppers, etc. would be appreciated.

;)
I don't know about waffle doors. The trucks are a dead give away on any rolling stock. Roller bearings became prominent I believe in the mid 60s. Now it is possible that the model manufacturer could make a mistake with the trucks.Here is a pic of older truck of the era you are looking at.

[URL="
[/URL]

#13 ·
I can remember in the mid to late 60s my Grand Father, then a retired C&O telegraph operator, still watching trucks on trains for hot boxes. He retired in 65 he was not operating telegraph at that time but that is what he called himself.I am not sure of his job title then as he still had the same job except he now used a phone. He was responsible for a section where a double track became single for about 2 miles. He had many interesting stories to tell he was 99 when the Lord called him home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.