Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maybe it's nonsense like this keeping the good posts down
actually it -seems- like all posts, good or not, are going greatly down in quantity ...
i too believe that a user should NOT have access to all areas without logging in .. not just being unable to post a thread or reply

·
Registered
103 Posts
Old Hobo, you are correct about the forum, it is a great resource learning from all of you. The expertise and modelling skills of all of you along with the tips and assistance I have received is priceless. I wish I had half of the modelling skills most of you have. Thank you all for the great info for sure ! I will get better thanks to many of you !

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
A big reason is that no one shows is since they changed the format there is no need to log in.
You can do ANYTHING but post.
Not quite sure what you're referring to here, I never had to log in on the previous forum either, except if I cleared my browser cookies. However it's still pretty easy to keep track of who is actively browsing the forum, every time a new page is requested you just check the login credentials of that computer and update the current stats before serving up the new page. That's also how you tell who is currently looking at which of the sub-groups, or you could even tell who all is reading a specific post.

Part of the problem could be that newer browsers allow you to aggressively ignore anything deemed as a "tracking" cookie, which breaks a number of things. Sure you want to blast the ones like those used by facebook which track your movements across every website that has one of their little icons, but cookies used properly by a single website are actually very helpful.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Ugh why does this software tell me there's a problem and to resubmit my post later, yet when the page finally updates I see there's a new post for every time I hit the submit button? And there's not even an option to allow me to delete my own (extra) posts??? That's just lazy programming.

GRJ, could you kindly remove the excess?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
mostly ..
XenForo System Requirements PHP: 5.6.0+ (PHP 7.2.0+ recommended) MySQL: 5.5+ (MariaDB / Percona also compatible) PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype. Common PHP functions must not be disabled.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
just for interest ....
XenForo has a built in "Discourage User" Option which makes it difficult or impossible for a user to navigate the site. It's similar to the very popular vBulletin mod called "Miserable Users". Basically, navigation slows way down, error messages randomly pop up, and sometimes you end up on pages you don't expect to see. This slows down unwanted visitors and sooner or later they leave, especially if they think the problems are sitewide rather than aimed at them individually. Unquote]

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Windows comment was in reference to your "undocumented feature" reply. I'm a linux user due to many years of personal frustration with Windows and still having to support the ever-escalating ridiculousness that comes out of Redmond (for example, even in Win10 I frequently run into an issue where I create a new file, save it to my documents folder, then try to delete it a few minutes later and get told I don't have permission to do that!). So yeah, anything that acts wonky I just immediately blame on Windows...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wish I knew what the OPer is having a problem with..
Since I joined years ago I've had no problem with opening up any of the categories or anything..
I don't care for the home page artwork with the tank engine (Tho I don't dislike tank engines) with the Euro 4 wheel wagon cars and wish it were instead N American stuff. But that's it..
Hey Big Ed !! You sure got that right about the instigator !! M

·
Registered
503 Posts
You do have to consider the holiday season is under way so people are busy with that. Then there are some poeple that just don't have the time to be on a lot like myself. I come in once a week on Saturday mornings. Plus there is always the ebb and flow of conversations. I've seen this place so busy it's just about implossible to keep up and other times so quiet you can hear the crickets. Then of course there's the time of day. I hear tell some people actual spend time sleeping.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts