Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Lionel passenger cars that I'd like to pop the top off. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how they're attached. The Lionel instructions are no help, they claim there are tabs to release the top when there clearly are none.

One of the cars in question is the Lionel 6-9532 Southern Passenger Car Beauregard. Here's the instructions and pictures of the cars.

Liionel instructions to press tabs to remove roof.

Here's a couple of the cars.

A close-up, I don't see any tabs!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I see. Looks like you'll have to press in 4 total tabs... I'd definitely use that thin metal ruler to help with pulling that sucker apart.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
I gave up trying on mine.
I did not want to break them.

What a _hitty way to make them come off!:thumbsdown:

Let us know what happened John.

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got them apart. First off, the Lionel instructions suck and can't work as far as I can see!

I found out that by sticking a plastic tuning tool in the bottom of each of the slots and then using some plastic thin rulers to stick in from the top and hold each tab open, I could get three, then when the 4th opened, I could pull the top off. It was a real PITA, and they're staying off until I'm done with all the mods and fixes, I can tell you that for sure!

I got these on eBay, and I was going to send them back after seeing them, the description didn't really match what I got. However, the guy first offered them to me keep them for free, but I couldn't in good conscience do that, so I settled for a hefty 50% discount. They do need some work, and I have to try to find a truck for one of them, but they can come back with some work. At the price I got them, I won't feel bad putting some time and effort into them.

I'm trolling the parts places looking for the parts I need...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
Well, I got them apart. First off, the Lionel instructions suck and can't work as far as I can see!

I found out that by sticking a plastic tuning tool in the bottom of each of the slots and then using some plastic thin rulers to stick in from the top and hold each tab open, I could get three, then when the 4th opened, I could pull the top off. It was a real PITA, and they're staying off until I'm done with all the mods and fixes, I can tell you that for sure!

I got these on eBay, and I was going to send them back after seeing them, the description didn't really match what I got. However, the guy first offered them to me keep them for free, but I couldn't in good conscience do that, so I settled for a hefty 50% discount. They do need some work, and I have to try to find a truck for one of them, but they can come back with some work. At the price I got them, I won't feel bad putting some time and effort into them.

I'm trolling the parts places looking for the parts I need...
Mine are packed away.
I need to replace 2 bulbs and tried to get the top off but stopped for fear of breaking it.

Please post some pictures showing how you did it.
How did you get the tool in? From the bottom?
Tuning tool? Tuning tool, whats it tune?

Your cars from what I see look pretty good.
Exactly what parts do you need?
I will keep my eyes open for them.

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need one of the trucks and the coupler for it. One of the "fixes" that was applied to one car was someone used a load of CA glue to glue the obviously broken coupler in, he managed to bond it crooked. In addition, he apparently put it in the box with the CA glue still curing, so there was a white film all over one end of the car. I got most of it, but it's affected the paint a bit on that car. It's not that noticeable, so I think I'll leave it alone, nothing seems to budge it.

I'm thinking of adding another pickup to each car and LED lights, also replacing the cheap plastic rivets with better choices.

·
16,666 Posts
I'm soooooo confused ...

I still don't see any tabs in the pics :confused:

John, maybe post a pic or two with the top removed, and a Paint/Photoshop circle as to where the tabs are and where you had to push/pull?

Thanks,

TJ

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ran007 is correct, they're the windows. Knowing what other windows look like I was reluctant to push on windows, since many times the window strips are glued in. These are different, they're part of the framework of the car.

I'll post some pictures later of how I took them apart, after I figured it out, I got them apart without any damage. I can see where these could easily get wrecked by trying to take them apart!

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some shots of the car interior and the removal process.

Basically, you press the bottom of the window with the plastic screwdriver, used to avoid scratching the plastic window material.

Next I slip the plastic ruler in the crack and rotate it to pry the side of the car body out slightly. If you don't do this, both the tab and the body are compressed, and you will never get the roof off!

After getting the ruler in, I push it down over the tab inside the body to keep that one disengaged.

Move on to the next one and repeat the process. When I got to the last one, I was able to simply press it in with the screwdriver and then wiggle the roof off.

Car Roof Section, One Piece

Car Body

Tab to press in, it's really the window.

Removal process, done at each corner, and leave the plastic ruler in place when you move on.

The tools used, I actually had three plastic rulers.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
Thanks John.:thumbsup:

Good thing I gave up when I did.:laugh:

A plastic screw driver?:confused:
I never heard of one.

So the windows and the top are one piece?
That doesn't make any sense to make it like that, what do you do to replace just the windows?

Looks like I will have to buy some plastic rulers.:eek:hwell:

And plastic screwdrivers......where would one find plastic screwdrivers?:confused:

Thanks for posting pictures.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is one of the most clearly shown "how-to" threads I've seen to date. Never having seen the cars, I was assuming that the windows were a separate piece, with the tabs holding the roof at the blank spots at "D" in LIMITED and towards the rear.

Thanks for the lesson.

·
16,666 Posts
Ohhh! Very clear pics / description now. It was not clear to me in (earlier) looking at the Lionel diagram that the "window sides" of the car were molded one-piece witht the roof. Now I get it.

Thanks, John.

TJ

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the construction wasn't clear to me either, I've never seen this type of car before. All the other passenger cars I have, and there are a number of different types, have separate "window" glass with or without passenger figures. This was a surprise when I cracked the case. :)

The plastic screwdrivers I use are electronic tuning tools.

You can buy it here: Insulating Adjustment Screwdriver

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is just my opinion: LEDs will make the lighting look modern, whereas these cars have a "vintage" look to them. I'm not saying the cars are old - heck, the could have been manufactured in 2009. They look like they come from an earlier time period. The incandescent lights will give them a warmer look. The LEDs will give a cooler/colder look. It's personal preference. The LEDs will last way longer, run cooler, and use less voltage, from what I understand, though.

If you do change them, I'd love to see how they look.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
This is just my opinion: LEDs will make the lighting look modern, whereas these cars have a "vintage" look to them. I'm not saying the cars are old - heck, the could have been manufactured in 2009. They look like they come from an earlier time period. The incandescent lights will give them a warmer look. The LEDs will give a cooler/colder look. It's personal preference. The LEDs will last way longer, run cooler, and use less voltage, from what I understand, though.

If you do change them, I'd love to see how they look.
Lionel made these 1977-78.
This Lionel set is very collectable, I have the whole train.:D:thumbsup:

The original Southern Crescent Limited started in 1925.
It was a deluxe all-Pullman sleeper train (no coaches), equipped with observation and club cars that operated from New York to New Orleans through agreements with several other railroads.

In 1926 it was assigned brand new heavy 4-6-2 passenger locomotives, painted green and gold with the train's name on the tender. One of these PS-4 class Pacific's is on display in Railroad Hall at the Smithsonian Institute's American History Museum in Washington, D.C. This locomotive also hauled the funeral train of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1945.

John?
Do you have the MTH engine and tender?

Maybe Popsicle sticks would work instead of plastic screwdrivers?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts