Model Train Forum banner

So, what would you choose?

• Broadway Limited 4079, HO, 4-8-2, M1b Pennsylvania PRR #6702, DCC Paragon3 Sound

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Broadway Limited HO I1sa 2-10-0 PRR Locomotive #4398 DC DCC Paragon3 Sound 4183

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BLI 2-8-2 PRR that runs great, good sound (Paragon). I have 22" radius curves on my layout, #6 turnouts, so I only ever go with ones that show 18" minimum, never go with the 22" minimum, modeling PRR after WWII. Just a small (54" x 132") double track junction (2 industries and a small town) layout.

I am looking at the following, in order to choose one:

Broadway Limited 4079, HO, 4-8-2, M1b Pennsylvania PRR #6702, DCC Paragon3 Sound

Broadway Limited HO I1sa 2-10-0 PRR Locomotive #4398 DC DCC Paragon3 Sound 4183

Both of these locomotives look sweet! I really like the 2-10-0, but wondering about the 10 versus the 8 wheels on 22" radius curves.

I probably can't lose either way, just looking for opinions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a BLI 2-8-2 PRR that runs great, good sound (Paragon). I have 22" radius curves on my layout, #6 turnouts, so I only ever go with ones that show 18" minimum, never go with the 22" minimum, modeling PRR after WWII. Just a small (54" x 132") double track junction (2 industries and a small town) layout.

I am looking at the following, in order to choose one:

Broadway Limited 4079, HO, 4-8-2, M1b Pennsylvania PRR #6702, DCC Paragon3 Sound

Broadway Limited HO I1sa 2-10-0 PRR Locomotive #4398 DC DCC Paragon3 Sound 4183

Both of these locomotives look sweet! I really like the 2-10-0, but wondering about the 10 versus the 8 wheels on 22" radius curves.

I probably can't lose either way, just looking for opinions!

Thanks!
Hey man I own a BLI 2-10-2 ATSF PRR lease unit and they look fine on 22" radius. I wouldnt go much small even some of my buddies layouts switches are tight for her, but she runs perfect on 22" 8 wheels obviously look better, but either way youll be fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know for a fact the 2-10-0 will take a 24" radius curve, and it should handle a 22" radius curve also. Same for the 4-8-2.
keep in mind the M1 4-8-2 was primarily a main line freight hauler, while the I1 2-10-0 was used for coal and ore and other heavy stuff, as a helper and as a hump engine.
What are you planning on using your loco for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey man I own a BLI 2-10-2 ATSF PRR lease unit and they look fine on 22" radius. I wouldnt go much small even some of my buddies layouts switches are tight for her, but she runs perfect on 22" 8 wheels obviously look better, but either way youll be fine.

Appreciate the feedback. One train will be coals cars, the other one will be mixed freight primarily box cars, hoppers, gondolas, etc. The Mikado will work the small yard and set up trains for the other locos to haul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! I do have both 22" and 24" so should be fine. I have some 18" but that is in the yard where the 2-8-2 will do the work and I have no issues there.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Why no option for "both"? :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know it!

Well . . . . you probably are right - I will end up getting both down the road!
:smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts