Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Life is also way too short to continue bashing other forums.
It may be, it may not. But the "forum bashing" over there has turned into defamation, and honestly I see no way for others to refute the accusations since they ban you if so much as look cross-eyed at them, and then continue gaslighting all of the other members that they don't ban anyone. I think over time, more and more people have realized what the owners/moderators are about and have moved on to greener, or at least more honest pastures.

Say what you will about OGR and the way they run it, but at least they have a set of rules and they live by it. On the other hand, OGF has rules written down, and for a certain set of folks there all they need to do is follow them. But for others, who aren't in their inner circle, there are unwritten rules that they must follow. Mainly kissing other people's rear ends and toing the invisible line. In short, MTF and OGR have rules, and they might be stricter on the surface, but they are applied relatively equally. While OGF says one thing, and does another thing entirely.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been a member of the OGF for quite awhile and enjoy it. I find nothing wrong with the special announcements. Geez if you don't like them pass those posts by.
I don't think anyone is complaining about special announcements, but individual happy birthday posts for every member is a bit much. The membership numbers at OGF are so low it doesn't matter much, but in a bigger forum it would be a wall of posts everyday.

And you yourself admitted you want to read about trains.

Also if there are people on any forum that annoy you just don't respond to them. I like the OGF because I'm having fun and the talk is invigorating. I have friends on all the forums because I've been around them forever. Started in the mid 90's during the wild west days when there were no rules online. I did not like the sniping, the insults and many other things. It caused me to stay away.
It's easy not to respond when they just ban you. And I have nothing against setting rules and booting those that don't follow them. However, OGF claims to be an open forum where you can discuss anything, they have some very basic rules, and say they don't ban people for speaking their minds. However it's a baldface lie. If you disagree with a certain moderator, you're dead meat. AND they gaslight everyone saying that the person chose to leave and they've only had to ban one person.

Personal attacks are never welcome, and I'd rather talk trains, but they hardly do over there, and their behavior should be documented so potential future members know what to expect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is in my opinion too bad this post like others have been reduced to this. Forums, Facebook, social media generation of communication have allowed a certain degree of anonymity that face to face decorum would not likely allow or see.
Has nothing to do with social media, that's a red herring. It's been this way since the dawn of the internet, but I'm not sure this post has been "reduced" to anything. It started out talking about other forums, and it's still doing that. For a long time these posts weren't needed, but then something went off the rails over there at OGF. Promises were made in their OGF engines, promises weren't kept, and they threw Harry under the bus. Then John, and still others.

The core issue has been resolved or hashed out.
That's not even remotely true, at all. There are still people defending OGF and what they did/do. Some are just deflecting from the issue (like your reply and others), and no apology has been issued by PTC Brian or OGF more widely.

A robust forum needs variety and numbers. I just skip over subjects that don’t interest me. I’m a big question asker of dumb questions that when answered here allow me to move my layout along.

Why can’t we just agree to disagree and get back to model railroading?
Agree on variety and numbers. Something OGF has neither of. However, if you just skip past subjects that don't interest you, why are you seeking to have this thread shut down while the rest of us are trying to correct the record... Or at least refute what has been written over on OGF until it's rescinded.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jeepers, I started this thread to see if there were any other forums that I was unaware of. It did lead to some very interesting discussions in regards to the forums that I do visit. Bottom line is that there are not very many forums for O gauge electric trains.

Bill
I think probably what happened is that two different threads were confused. I had started a thread called "Other Forum" or something of that nature in Union Station to keep it out of the main O Gauge topic about a week before this one. I apologize for the cross pollination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.