Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been on every forum at one time or the other. This one is pretty good. OGR is the most informative and active overall due to the large number of posters. I don't always agree with the moderators' choices, but it's their forum and by and large they have been even handed in their moderation over the last 5-10 years.

Participated in the MTJ forum for years, but it has become the island of the angry old men lately, with the exception of the editor of the O Scale Magazine and a few others. Not too many people participating so I mostly participate in the political carnage :).

Was on the OGF for a short time, but got tossed off because I insisted on educating a few posters as to what first amendment rights actually meant, and how they did not apply in private forums such as OGR :). A few misguided individuals seem to think they have first amendment rights on private discussion forums and in their grocery store. Don't like to be told that's simply not the case. Perhaps I contradicted one of the "elders" or Brian Vaill himself once too often. Certainly wasn't lacking in civility, just insisted on having a point of view that didn't agree with their "culture." I think they mean well, but are living in a bit of a bubble. Everyone has to have culturally approved points of view. Some folks insist on fantasies such as Lionel only makes poor products or this or that is the cause of all the world's problems. More than a little arrogance, to my way of thinking, but I suppose that is a risk with any degree of power as a forum moderator. The moderators here don't seem to be all that hostile or totalitarian :).

·
Registered
156 Posts
"I am guessing a lot of the AOL posters back then have passed on to the great train station in the sky."

That's true. Pat Fusco (TRex) and Tom Grimason are no longer alive, for two. Jon Lane and Stirling Woodin died many years ago. None of us are getting any younger :).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe they were told to restrict their videos to a single thread and they agreed to disagree. Some of old timers complained that there were too many Cornerfield threads I gather. Bunch of cranky people in the main. For a while they were the "Lionel sucks" and "OGR Forum" sucks forum. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Whatever floats your boat. But they are outstanding hypocrites and annoyingly self-congratulatory at times :).

·
Registered
156 Posts
"If you disagree with a certain moderator, you're dead meat. "

The OGF in a nutshell, in my experience.

That said, all forum moderators have buttons that can be pushed. Their forum. Their rules. If you want to stubbornly break the rules, you are going to bear the consequences. But at least have clear rules and enforce them in evenhanded fashion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.