Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
I had a 1972 Fiat 124 I used as a daily driver for five years. Never had any problem with rust but then I lived in Houston at the time: humid all the time but no snow and salt. In fact I never had any problems with it really. Put some mild mods aimed at mostly mid range toque and only a bit more power into the engine. It was a pleasurable daily car - I sold it to someone who got another five years of good weekend fun out of it.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
As well you should hide it for the winter! I had a 1974 Fiat Spider 124, bought it new in 1974, and sold it in 1976. All the black painted parts in the engine compartment were shedding their paint with a solid coating of rust under it! I cleaned it all off, painted them, and unloaded it before it dissolved into a rust spot on the driveway! :eek:
Yep. Back in the 70’s, the average car didn’t have much in the way of rust protection unless you took it to Ziebart. And I suspect Italian cars were below average in that regard. But I’ve had the Alfa since 1976 and since I baby it, there is no rust to speak of.

·
Admin
43,510 Posts
I had a 1972 Fiat 124 I used as a daily driver for five years. Never had any problem with rust but then I lived in Houston at the time: humid all the time but no snow and salt. In fact I never had any problems with it really. Put some mild mods aimed at mostly mid range toque and only a bit more power into the engine. It was a pleasurable daily car - I sold it to someone who got another five years of good weekend fun out of it.
Lee, I loved how the car drove, I have to say, even in the 70's, the Italians knew their suspension. It was a hoot on twisty little roads, stuck to the road like glue. I'm sure the two winters with lots of salt was the issue. I know one of the winters was pretty brutal with lots of snow, and since that was my only car, it's the one that had to brave the snow and salt. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts