Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a few years since this guy was dug out from underneath the layout. Its a Lionel CB&Q GP-9 that came with TMCC and RS. Good looking Geep and runs like a fine Swiss watch. The Geeps are great locos, they can travel on just about any layout no matter how tight the curves are. Use em in the staging yard or on the mainlines.

Anyone else running Geeps ?

Bill

P4270019.JPG

P4270021.JPG

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I try to limit myself to northeastern roads, but lately if I see a loco from another part of the country that strikes my fancy, I might just add it to my roster. I have an MTH copy of the CB&Q Pioneer Zephyr. I got it because the price was too good to resist, but it’s one of my favorites. The paint scheme on that CB&Q Geep is one of the more eye catching ones.

I’m guessing that most of us have at least one Geep on the roster. Here are a few from the MPC era and a modern MTH.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Geeps are some of my favorites. I have a few of them, even in roads I normally don’t collect.

Tom

I have some CB&Q engines too. One of my first trains as a kid was a N scale Atlas GP30 in the red and grey colors. When I saw the MTH O scale version, I had to have it...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I've got the early Lionel New York Central TMCC equipped ones with the pullmor motor. I haven't run it much recently but it is a favorite of mine. The sounds are sort of primitive, but very good for the age and it runs quite well for a locomotive that's 25+ years old.

I also have a Legacy Polar RR GP7 that comes out at Christmastime.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I have several. Like you say, good general purpose loco. I'm running all steam this week but have to dig them out, maybe do a week of all Geeps. that would be fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its been a few years since this guy was dug out from underneath the layout. Its a Lionel CB&Q GP-9 that came with TMCC and RS. Good looking Geep and runs like a fine Swiss watch. The Geeps are great locos, they can travel on just about any layout no matter how tight the curves are. Use em in the staging yard or on the mainlines.

Anyone else running Geeps ?

Bill

View attachment 541857

View attachment 541858

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my father, "Bing," that Lionel CB&Q GP-9 (6-18569) 15 years ago. He was a locomotive engineer for the CB&Q, later BN, for 42 years when he retired in 1985. He worked out of "Ferry," South Sioux City, Nebraska, and later Sioux City, IA for BN. So he ran those engines and was very fond of them. He died 5 years ago at the age of 96. About 1982, I was a General Foreman at BN's Havelock Shops, Lincoln, NE when a GP-9 came in (BN1962) from Sioux City for a new paint job. I knew my Dad frequently ran that engine on a branchlike out to O'Neill, NE, so it got some special attention. When that GP-9 left like new, I had "Bing" stenciled on the engineer's control stand. He and the train crews thought that was great. His Lionel GP-9 sat in a glass case on top of his book shelf in an honored place until just before he died. It has never been run. I now have it awaiting the building of my dream layout soon to occur. - Russ Quimby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts